[Fis] FW: : Anticipatory Systems

Joseph Brenner joe.brenner at bluewin.ch
Sun Nov 11 21:17:44 CET 2018

Dear Pedro, Dear Mark,

Thank you for your references to Logic in Reality. Before commenting on my
work, I would like to note that no references in this thread have been yet
made to the extensive work on anticipation by Rosen of course, and more
recently by Daniel Dubois in Liège and Roberto Poli in Trento. Roberto has
been leading a major European initiative in the field of anticipatory
systems. Although he and I do not always agree, no serious study of
anticipation should ignore his work.

I am very glad to be able to state here that Stéphane Lupasco, from whose
logical system LIR was derived, gives a major place to biological, cognitive
phenomena, including consciousness, and social systems, including his work
on ethics. By good fortune, I have just been able to publish the first paper
in English on the Lupasco theory of consciousness (in a Newsletter of the
American Philosophical Association.) With this work fresh in mind, I am in a
good position to suggest, taking up Mark’s point, that it is LIR and not
standard bivalent logic that expresses the dynamic structure of
consciousness and experience.

As it turns out, the first paper I published was entitled “Process in
Reality”. I have emphasized process in all subsequent work and not only
criticized “easy cases of self-organization” but the major errors that can
be made by assigning self-organization an exclusive role, without prior and
accompanying hetero-organization, that is, the necessary external or prior
input.

Coming back to Mark, I find very intriguing his thought that logic may be a
metasystem of itself. As background, I have claimed that Logic in Reality is
also a metalogic, in that it discusses how logic “is to be done”, and
further that its logical and metalogical characteristics are not separated
or separable. I further wrote:

The metalogical properties of LIR are thus of an entirely different kind,
since it is based on a view of nature that does not consider fundamental
either to the abstract entities of pure classical propositional or
mathematical logic or the anthropomorphic ontological concepts of
phenomenology. The most fundamental metalogical principle of LIR is that of
opposition or antagonism, without which, in this view, nothing could exist
(see the next Section). This is, therefore, at the same time the most
fundamental metaphysical principle of LIR.

On this basis, I could say that my Logic in Reality as a system could be a
metasystem of itself, without conflation. But what is the general relation
between a system and a metasystem? I would welcome some further thoughts by
Mark on this point in terms of a definition of a metasystem that we can all
discuss. But please let me again distinguish between standard logic and LIR:
it is the former that is the epitome of coherence. LIR does not require
absolute coherence as a necessary property in a world that is both coherent
and incoherent.

I will comment later on Xueshan’s concept of Inforware. I guess I hesitated
a bit when I read that reduction-analysis was a key part of the strategy for
development of information studies, but, Xueshan, “let’s talk”. There is
also a very delicate question of the usage here of the English terms
‘inevitable’ and ‘inevitably’. It is not incorrect but in my mind just
slightly ‘off’ in a negative sense. Perhaps an alternate term which someone
or my unconscious might suggest would be better.

Best wishes to all,

Joseph

  _____