[Fis] : Anticipatory Systems

Xueshan Yan yxs at pku.edu.cn
Mon Nov 5 06:42:04 CET 2018

Dear Colleagues,

Let’s return to the core theme of narrative/story of this session--a very
valuable direction in information studies. Here I would like provide some
historical achievements which were developed by other related disciplines
and give some comments related to Pedro’s early consideration. If no evident
specifications, the default effectiveness only be limited to human
atmosphere.

1. Surface Structure of Information: Word, Sentence, Discourse

According to the linguistic research in the past decades, the surface
structure of information can be divided into three levels: word, sentence,
and discourse (also called text). Some people think that clause and
paragraph should be added to them, but they are not generally recognized
because they have not put forward effective results. For a long time, word
and sentence research has achieved almost perfect theoretical results, while
discourse research is still under exploration. The most famous work about
discourse research formed by Teun A. van Dijk of the Netherlands, whose
theory of News Schemata which he put forward in 1986 reached the peak in
this aspect. Since then, the whole discourse theory has never got important
achievement until today. Word, Sentence, and Discourse are the surface
structure of information (meaning) existing as physical sign form.

2. Narrative: A Special Discourse

Narration is a kind of describing behavior of information, and its result is
narrative. Narrative is a special discourse, which focuses on the
description of one or more events or others. It is mainly applied in the
humanities, especially in literature and history. Natural science and
engineering science generally do not use this concept. The soul of a
narrative is that it must have story. A story is a narrative that was
constituted of one or more figures' thoughts, words, and actions as the main
line. The record of one's daily life could be narrative and there is not
always story in it. The yearbook records everything but there is not
necessarily a story there. Story is the basic premise of novel, ballad,
lullaby, opera, song, music, painting, etc. The most typical study of story
is carried out by folklorists, psychologists, and linguists, such as Smith
Thompson, Jean Mandler, David Rumelhart and others, they have put forward
the theory of motif, plot, and story grammar in 1970s, but their research is
still difficult now. Behind Discourse, Narrative, and Story, there are
complex and interesting information issues.

3. Stratification and Reduction: An Inevitable Way to Develop Information
Studies

In a 2002 post, Pedro summed up an interesting idea: Cell-Brain-Firm, it
also be expressed as Cell-Brain-Society sometime. It implied information
stratification existentialities and could make people separate information
research on cell from information research on society. However, this idea
has received little attention from our FIS/UTI circle afterwards. In my
opinion, the problem perhaps is that the consideration is defective at
logical level. I have coined two concepts in my research, one is "Inforware"
and the other is "Communication-dipole" which can explain this problem. An
Inforware is a physical object consisting of Information, Sign, and
Substrate. A pair of Inforwares that can communicates each other is called a
Communication-dipole. An Inforware can holds information, and a
Communication-dipole can transmits information.

Analyzing Pedro's idea, both of cell and brain are organism, they can be
consider as Inforwares and of course can form Communication-dipole to
communicate each other, but a society cannot be consider as Inforware and we
cannot find an opponent to communicate with unless we consider it as an
Inforware and can communicate with other society as a whole, such as a panda
society or a rice society. So, if Pedro agrees, I would like to revise the
Cell-Brain-Firm idea to Molecule-Cell-Brain idea (of course, should plus
elementary particle and mechanical product in somewhere of it.). All
Molecules, Cells, and Brains can be consider as Inforwares and of course can
form Communication-dipoles to communicate. Information research inside brain
is a biology task, and outside brain is a (Human/Social) Informatics task.
Stratification and Reduction analysis is the way to develop information
studies inevitably in the future.

(The above discussions have been described in detail in my book Information
Science: Concept, System and Perspective, (2016)).

Best wishes to all,

Xueshan