[Fis] Fw: Five Momenta. Five Itineraries

Joseph Brenner joe.brenner at bluewin.ch
Tue Oct 20 22:20:52 CEST 2015

Dear Pedro, Dear FISers,

Pedro's note conveys very well the intellectual /Angst/ I and probably also
many of you feel confronted by the complexity of the 'crazy story' which we
are both tellers of and listeners to. Pedro's division into five domains of
knowledge (and knowing) is a very useful first step. The second, I suggest,
just to continue the thinking process, is to look for what underlies or
might be common to the domains, as a possible part of what Pedro calls a
multidisciplinary Itinerary. I can think of five candidates, some of which
have been touched on recently. All of them address change and process in
some way. None of them is fully adequate by itself, but perhaps a
combination, with the addition of some others, might be. "Theories of
Everything" need not apply. Please note that 1) no necessary meaning or
hierarchical priority should be ascribed to the order used and 2) I have
written exactly two sentences for each entry.

1. The Tao
This universally valid attempt to conceive of and refer to an underlying
unity of phenomena seems very relevant to today's problems. A key concept,
among many others, is that the ambiguity and self-contradiction in language
is not only accepted as inevitable but considered a necessary way of
pointing to that unity.

2. Wu Kun's Philosophy of Information
The first step here would be to accept that all of the momenta are
constituted by information and hence constrained by the dynamics of
information. In other words, I see the Philosophy of Information also as an
/Itinerary/ rather than only as part of Momentum 1, part of the solution
rather than of the problem, joining with Momentum 5.

3. Lupasco's Logic of Energy and Principle of Dynamic Opposition
Action in all the domains listed by Pedro involves the expenditure of energy
by an agent to effect change against a resistance of some kind, especially
at the higher cognitive levels of human sociality (Momentum 4). Such
interactions and antagonisms are the locus of change and the emergence of
new entities at all the levels of reality of the momenta.

4. Transdisciplinarity (I)
There is a growing general understanding that the boundaries of classical
disciplines block the development of knowledge, and any methods which
transcend their limitations will be constructive. This is certainly
happening in Momentum 2, and Information Science has been clearly recognized
as transdisciplinary.

5. Transdisciplinarity (II)
The Nicolescu acceptation of Transdisciplinarity as that which lies within,
between and beyond individual disciplines is even stronger. There is a
unique tension between the ontological and epistemological aspects of this
form of Transdisciplinarity that itself points toward a unity of knowledge.

Pedro's call, in his last paragraph, is an instance of application of
Itinerary 3 above, a proper maintainance of interaction with an excess of
neither identity nor diversity. My note itself is an instance of Itinerary 5
(which includes 3 and 4) and suggests that a degree of self-reference is an
indication of the possible utility of an approach. Self-reference is a key
principle in art and humor and it may also be a key component of the
structured coherence in science Pedro and we are seeking.

Thank you,

Joseph