[Fis] Shannon-Weavers' Levels A, B, C.

Mark Johnson johnsonmwj1 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 17 19:39:49 CEST 2015

Dear Loet, Joseph and Fis colleagues,

Some thoughts:

Pascal: "the heart has its reasons [the constraints of the body] which the
reason cannot perceive [because it is abstract]" and yet... we do come to
know the reasons of the heart - we know them long before we know reason. In
language as Joseph says "Less is more" precisely, in my experience at
least, because ambiguities reveal the reasons of the heart. Poetic language
lifts the veil of everyday language to expose the raw, embodied, uncodified
constraints which underpin it. Music is more powerful still (Alfred Schutz
wrote about this wonderfully)

Can we fashion a description of how this works with existing theory? (I
don't believe we should surrender the territory to psychologists!)

Parsons's idea of 'double-contingency' of communication presents an
interaction between ego and alter where communication emerges through
selections of meaning and utterance of each party. Schutz, whose theory of
intersubjectivity was important for Parsons (they had an significant and
difficult correspondence about these matters which is well-documented in
Richard Grathoff's "The Theory of Social Action: The Correspondence of
Alfred Schutz and Talcott Parsons") found Parsons's model too
functionalist. Parsons and Schutz have a different understanding of how
people 'tune-in' to one another: I see Parsons's model as effectively
'digital': a set of multi-level interacting selections; Schutz's concept is
more 'analogue', involving sharing a sense of 'inner time' between people.
I prefer to think of this as a shared constraint.

Loet's redescription of double-contingency in terms of mutual redundancies
loosens the determinism in both Parsons and Luhmann (who followed him). I
think this is important, and opens a space for reconsidering Schutz's
understanding of how 'tuning-in' might work.

It's best to start with 'selection' (of utterance, meaning and
understanding in Luhmann). Shannon selections are constrained by redundancy
as we know, so to turn the spotlight on the redundancies rather than what
is selected allows us to differentiate the intersubjective communication
between two people talking face-to-face as one of higher mutual
constraint/redundancy than the intersubjective situation of writing an
email or a listserve post to Fis. Locality makes a difference in increasing
mutual constraint.

Returning to Pascal, my body constrains my thoughts in ways which cannot be
abstractly modelled, and yet I can apprehend my own constraints and those
of others, whilst not necessarily being able to articulate them in
language. I could however make music, wave my arms around, pull an angry
face, or cry. Isn't inference of constraints by observing such behaviour
essential to communication? How could double contingency work were we not
able to grasp and physically feel what constrains the other? Babies
wouldn't survive otherwise!

Just to extend the speculation a bit further, we should ask about the
process of knowledge construction itself in the light of mutual redundancy.
Since Hume, many believe that the agreement of scientists in the light of
event regularities is a factor in the development of knowledge. What do
those scientists 'tune into' when they do this? In what way might an
empirical event regularity be a mutual constraint? How are physical
constraints separable from personal, biological or psychological
constraints?

Might apparently 'woolly' (but, IMO, valuable) sociomaterial accounts of
science be reframed as analytical accounts of interacting constraints?

just some thoughts...

Mark

Dr. Mark William Johnson
Associate,