[Fis] Mark Johnson. Less is more

Joseph Brenner joe.brenner at bluewin.ch
Thu Oct 15 12:04:34 CEST 2015

Dear Mark,

I find much novelty in your interesting approach as I read your note of
October 1 and this one. This novelty should not be lost by imposing standard
patterns of interpretation on it. If we really believe "it's time we confess
in science just how little we know about language, that we explore
language's mysteries", we might do well to consider the idea of Lao Tzu
(Wang. 2013. /The Logic of Tao Philosophy/ that the obscurity, contradiction
and ambiguity in linguistic description is not a 'mystery' but an indication
of the proper way to understand the complex logical nature of reality.

Any proper theory of information should be capable of giving
non-metaphorical meaning to the phrase, applicable to Chinese art and used
in poetry by Browning and architecture by van der Rohe that "less is more".

Briefly,

Joseph