[Fis] life cycles

Stanley N Salthe ssalthe at binghamton.edu
Mon Oct 5 21:38:11 CEST 2015

Pedro wrote:

Unfortunately, the neglect of the life cycle is almost universal. Neither
neuroscientists nor psychologists nor social scientists are sufficiently
aware of this invisible "water" that permeates all living stuff. Echoing
some old evolutionary statement, everything should made sense in relation
with the advancement of the corresponding life cycle. Just the superficial
observation of human exchanges in our societies, or in whatever historical
epoch, the conversational small-talk topics, the way people greet each
other, the gossip media... the condensates of the individuals' info cycles
are everywhere. A new conceptualization of information as accompanying the
development of human action for the sake of life cycles and subtending the
cooperation structures of economic life could have wide multidisciplinary
interest--I think. (Unfortunately, these adventures are discouraged: Mark
is terribly right about the sorrow state of our collective brain
reservoirs--poor universities! kingdoms of conventionalism and tunnel
vision).

Stan: One aspect of the life cycle is the rate of energy flow through a
system, which is well known in living systems, and appears to be similar in
all dissipative structures.  This is shown in this figure:

[image: Inline image 1]

Then we need to consider which life cycle we are going to investigate.  One
conversation? The duration of conference?, etc.

STAN