[Fis] [Fwd: Information And Locality, Addendum's]--Steven

Jerry LR Chandler jerry_lr_chandler at me.com
Sat Oct 3 02:03:46 CEST 2015

Steven, Pedro, List:

Steven:  Your posts are a breath of fresh air.

I have long wondered about how you were associating information theory with biophysics and the Peirce philosophic notions of information and symbols.  This is now partially clarified.

Numerous, very numerous questions are raised by you posts and Pedro's translations into his views of molecular biology.

First, a general comment on the suggested background primer on Kahn which is laced with weak metaphors.
I particularly object to the notion (at about minute 2:45 of the first segment) that information is the answer to a single question, yes or no.

First objection to the Kahn video is that only an infinitesimal fraction of all scientific questions yield a "yes" or "no" answer.

Second objection is that, thus far, no one has constructed a general method for coding from the fundamental level of electrical particles to either chemical information or biological information.  For QM reasons, this coding problem appears to an intractable mathematical problem for any biological theory of information emerging from physical principles.

In these cases, the rich physical behavior of relationships between polar opposites, positive and negatively charges apparently requires  the emergence of new codes  This is a critical fact that haunts any theoretical attempt to invoke Shannon information theory to either chemistry or biology.

None-the-less, I strongly endorse the intimate linkage between communication and information.  This linkage appears necessary for a structural mathematics that can be used to exchange meanings.

But, lets ignore that issue for the moment. Let me start with the concepts that appears to me to motivate your notion of locality as information.  It is this notion that Pedro seeks to translate from a spatial concept, locality, to material concepts based on the physics of collections of atomic numbers arranged into biological patterns, such as DNA, RNA, and the usual list of acronyms that can not be literally (factually) translated into philosophical or rhetorical languages.

I am puzzled by the sentence:
It should be clear that the bit alone is local and that any organization of
>> the bit what-so-ever, be it in the form of a word, a Turing machine tape, in
>> some form on a disk drive or in a text book is, to some degree, lacking that
>> locality.

In mathematical terms, what is locality?
How would express this usage of "locality" in terms of topological spaces (another mathematical form of locality) and yet exclude QM theory?

In other words, how does "locality" know where it is at?

In mathematical terms, how is the concept of locality related to message content?
For a simple example, what happens to the notion of "locality" when a message is compressed 2 fold? 5 fold? 20 fold? Is this concept of locality consistent and complete under compression?

An alternative view could be that a bit has meaning only within the context of a bit string. In this case, the meaning of the bit string, as a combinatorial object, can be assigned a list of rules which change the order of the bit string with conservation of the meaning of the string as a whole.

(As an aside, the preceding suggestion is a rough analogy with the "information" content of biological processes such as the flow of information from an inducer to a transport protein, as in the Lac operon.)

On a more constructive avenue,
> Engineering-wise I believe that a simplified genomics is both possible and ultimately programmable. Enabling us to devise organisms with particular behaviors able to serve our inevitable causes.

is a foundational conjecture seeking to link mathematics, physics, chemistry and biology.

First, I would note that molecular biologists, using well-understood chemical structural principles, can now

> "devise organisms with particular behaviors able to serve our inevitable causes."
so that the second sentence is experimentally used now.

So, it appears that the principle (doctrine) of locality should work if a path from the conceptualization of "locality" to chemical structures can be constructed?

That is, the paths from quantitative "biophysical" symbolic representations to quantitative biochemical symbolic representations (and hence to subjective "biosemiotic representations) can be abstractly conceptualized and calculated.

Is this conjecture consistent with your conceptualization of biophysics?

Again, thanks for the highly original and stimulating posts.

Cheers

Jerry