[Fis] Concluding Comments?

Dai Griffiths dai.griffiths.1 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 8 15:52:31 CET 2024

Interesting links, I hope I am not too late to respond.
It seems to me that there is a big difference between things which are:

a) unsurprising

   - identifying a transform of a aural stimulus that has activated a
   persons eardrum, where we can assume that the neural processes involved are
   largely the same for all individuals.

b) Could be feasible, but which depend on details of brain processes which
I do not know, or which perhaps are as yet unknown.

   - identifying a memory of an aural stimulus
   - identifying a word just before it is vocalised (or which is conciously
   thought without vocalisation).

c) Doubtful

   - Interpreting the thoughts of a person as they go about their living,
   which might or might not lead to speech. My assumption is that the neuronal
   structures involved are deeply contingent on the detail of the organisms'
   prior interactions, and so cannot be mapped between organisms

I may be wrong about (d), time will tell. But if I am right, then we should
reserve judgment about the prospects for 'brain transparency', An
encephalographic overseer might be able to see if their minion is on task,
but perhaps not what they are thinking about.

Best
Dai