[Fis] Also spoke Pythagoras

Howard Bloom howlbloom at aol.com
Tue Jun 25 01:31:17 CEST 2024

 a big yes.
for 300 years we have tried to understand the mysteries around us by looking at the parts.  now it's time for a science of the wholes.
with warmth and oomph--howard

    On Monday, June 24, 2024 at 09:07:23 AM EDT, Karl Javorszky <karl.javorszky at gmail.com> wrote:

Also spokePythagoras    2024 06 24

Captatio benevolentiae

This here excellent assembly of learned friends is ascooperative as they can get. They bring superb examples and common experienceswe all can refer to, like being immersed in the music, in the beat or the swingor process or whatever we call the idea (remembering the experience) of beingwell synchronized within. In the interactive process, this is a positivetransference of cooperation, even if snortingly.

Example clock

Let's imagine that in front of us is a huge clock the sizeof a building;

On the back there is a door through which we can get insidethe clock.

Once inside, we can observe, measure, compare all the partsof the clock, as well as their combinations and imagine differentconfigurations of them.

We will know all about the watch from the inside.

We see the cogs and the belts (permutations and partitions).You only refer to the cogs, avoiding the subject of the belts. Your opinionthat the cogs determine the state of the machine is grosso modo correct. Let me drive your attention to the belts.Careful recalibration of what the belts do shows that there is an ever soslight slippage between the two constituents of the mechanism. Theidea is to use the extent of the slippage as a natural unit. The innerinconsistency within the huge clock is roughly 10-92 %, an extremely small value. Would you like todiscuss this fine point of building clocks? The best entry is by reordering 12books.

Biology is a collection of circular processes on alimited number of diverse elements

I think we can agree that the elephants Karl mentions couldnot be sliced into steaks. His cycles would seem to have little to do with cyclesin nature, which are ontic and involve energy changes. Accordingly they neverpurely circular.

Wittgenstein was bloody right about the eye being unable tosee itself. Fish can establish no concept of water. Integrating one’sphysiology with one’s philosophy would make it impossible to write that biologyis not circular while breathing in and out, having heart and other processesrunning. There are additions, variants, embellishments on the organism, but theorganism itself is subject to periodic processes. If there is no breathing andno pulse, the periodic processes are no more periodic and the organism ceasesto be an organism.

Are we talking about facts or are we talking about our beliefs

It should be clear that information science includesepistemological as well as ontological components. One can "play"with the epistemological ones, but it quickly becomes a “Glasperlenspiel” in which the linksto messy energetic reality (including emotion) are lost. I suggest that somereference to the domain on which one is focusing might be very helpful in thedebate.

This very cooperative remarkrepeats the statement

There is an inner system ofrelations among the natural numbers, and there is an inner system of relationsamong the ideas of the spectator.

As repeatedly pointed out in the last few years, the personwho tries to sell you a nontrivial update on a+b=c, this person has nomessianic urges long repressed. It cannot be more explicitly announced that therole of Mendel is to draw attention to facts than it has been done.

What to do if the picture the numbers show is differentto that what you expect them to do

Pythagoras was of the opinion, that music, numbers,relations, intervals, accords, harmonies show that Nature is built up on thesimplest facts. If we decipher the relations among the simplest facts, we willhave understood the rules Nature follows. In his opinion, one can and should learnfrom the inner harmony that regulates music.

Pythagoras still remembered some of the urban legends relatingto the heroic people of Akkadia, who suffered radical cultural extermination bythe Sumerians, at least in that version of history which was common consensus at the time.

The Akkadians and their strange way of counting

The Sumerians were producers, the Akkadians traders. Theformer lived in a world of more or even more, the latter were victims of marketforces. While the Sumerians believed that they can produce whatever in anendless amount, given the stuff is standardized, the Accadians were worriedabout what part of the whole delivery is in which quality class and isinfluenced by vagaries of fashion or seasons. The Akkadians have invented aclosed system of calculations, with an upper limit above which it was agrammaticalto think. You know what name have they chosen for their unit and upper limit? Youwon’t guess it. They called it 100 %. Likethe Mayans with their Long CountCalender, the Akkadians hat a precise concept about what are the relationsof the parts to the whole and to each other.

They were not too much interested in the numeric amount ofwhat the industrious Sumerians have delivered, they rather thought in terms ofpercentages, what part can be sold immediately, etc. etc. etc. Their individualbusiness optimization strategies had one thing in common: what are therelations of the parts among each other? The know-how relating to logistics andsupply management is identical, whether you deal with barley or fish.

As they sat together many balmy evenings in Akkadia, theyworked out a fine system of insider knowledge, because they have developedwords for the experience “average inaspect A, good in aspect B, for hobbyists in aspect C” for the diverseforms of typical wares of their trades. This mightily irritated the Sumerians,those straightforward noble savages of production ideology, so the Accadiansgot killed. If you are a honest producer, come to the market and there thetraders speak in a slang of thieves, you will also want to make units to be ofunit size and the unit of distance is the length of one unit. Don’t obfuscatethe main idea, that unification means that the units are one like the other.These Akkadians have deserved what they got coming to them, by all this fancy limitedassembly and types of units. No such talk where a Sumerian is present.

So what has this to do with me

If a new idea breaks upon you like a tsunami, find a halt insomething you are familiar with and you can keep it in your hands.

Why don’t you take 12 different books and stick littleyellow markers on them, abbreviating author and title. Do the reordering exercise.Do it with the attention of a Zen monk.

You find out for yourself

One should not influence the probands in what they areexpected to experience and learn from an experience.

Good vibes

The freedom of this intellectual club is that you canexpress your opinion about information up to twice a week and people aresympathetic because they also do not know what information is. For reasons ofspace, the interesting debate about meaning remains for the next post. Veryencouraging is the following:

It is important to understand context, and such understandingasks for an understanding of "the whole".

There are examples in mathematics that I find illuminatingwhere we have a structure that can be regarded as a continuous whole in acertain context, but it can also be projected into a structure that consists ofinteracting parts. This happens in topology quite naturally, and much of thetopological discussion is devoted to a kind of mathematical metrology of wholesand parts.

… wholes and parts in relation to knots because it is not sowell known in this light. On the one hand we have a whole form in the shape ofa closed circular knotted rope or mathematical closed knotted curve. On theother hand, the simple act of projection divides the knot into an interrelatedcollection of pieces. We can study how these pieces interact and how theychange when we move the knot or change the projection. The pieces arecircularly interconnected and so are susceptible to a self-referential description.Knot theory and algebraic topology more generally are devoted to understandingwholes as best we can, either from the wholes as given, or via an analysis ofparts AS CONSTRUCTED relative to the wholes. Projection is a form of suchconstruction.

All of this mathematical work leads to many thoughts aboutcybernetics, information theory and the positions of radical constructivistthought

Just a terminological detail. The process of discoveringsomething that is there is archeology. To have a whiff that here might be somethingto be uncovered is the result of thinking. Projection has to do with thesubject. Archeology has to do with the object. This is what you are asked todo. Learn how 12 books have inner relationships among each other. Theirrelationship is objectively existing. By no means projections of you. After thisintroductory exercise, we shall use no more physical books.

Poseidon, Ulysses and a Marine sergeant

To the end of this verbal symphony, hopefully some thunderand tutti is in order. Who among your inner conversant personalities (by whosevoice) could seduce you into ordering 12 books on a table? Could it be that youneed a forte and an inner commandingvoice to get up and do the bloody initiation rite? If so, enjoy the innerconflict. Come on, get a courage!

Karl

__________________________Howard Bloomwww.howardbloom.instituteAuthor of: The Lucifer Principle: A Scientific Expedition Into the Forces of History ("mesmerizing"-The Washington Post), Global Brain: The Evolution of Mass Mind From The Big Bang to the 21st Century ("reassuring and sobering"-The New Yorker),The Genius of the Beast: A Radical Re-Vision of Capitalism ("A tremendously enjoyable book." James Fallows, National Correspondent, The Atlantic),  The God Problem: How A Godless Cosmos Creates ("Bloom's argument will rock your world." Barbara Ehrenreich),How I Accidentally Started the Sixties (“Wow! Whew! Wild! Wonderful!” Timothy Leary),The Mohammed Code (“A terrifying book…the best book I’ve read on Islam.” David Swindle, PJ Media),Einstein, Michael Jackson & Me: a Search  for Soul in the Power Pits of Rock & Roll ("Amazing. The writing is revelatory." Freddy DeMann, manager of Michael Jackson and Madonna), Best Book of 2020, New York Weekly Times, andThe Case of the Sexual Cosmos: Everything You Know About Nature is Wrong ("A massive achievement, WOW!"  Richard Foreman, MacArthur Genius Award Winner, Officer of the Order of Arts & Letters, France)
A Quartz Magazine ProProfessor of Practice, Kepler Space University Co-founder, The Asian Space Technology SummitFormer Visiting Scholar, Graduate Psychology Department, New York University, Former Core Faculty Member, The Graduate Institute; Founder: International Paleopsychology Project. Founder, Space Development Steering Committee.  Member Of Board Of Governors, National Space Society. Founding Board Member: Epic of Evolution Society. Founding Board Member, The Darwin Project.
BRIC-TV's 66-minute film, The Grand Unified Theory of Howard Bloom,  https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atYmiEZ6YDUBest__;!!D9dNQwwGXtA!RptIwzhL69amUng4NaabEUFec-2_mNEUB4Mzbf9azg9jRiS0qDJ1vC3prfTjoOSAFiErY6jxqPDLbIlMNg$  Picture, Science Design Film Festival. Best Documentary Feature, Not Film Festival, Italy. Available  on Apple TV, Amazon, Google Play, Microsoft, Vimeo, Vudu, and Fandango.