[Fis] Limits of Formal Systems -- PARADIGM SHIFT(S) IN KNOWLEDGE PRODUCTION AND USE

Gordana Dodig Crnkovic gordana.dodig-crnkovic at chalmers.se
Thu Feb 8 09:06:14 CET 2024

Dear All,

Thank you for this timely and important discussion that continues the theme of the paradigm shift we started with the New Year Lecture. It seems to me that we are already navigating the turbulent waters of several paradigm shifts in the production and use of knowledge.

Here is my list of concurrent shifts one can observe:

·        MULTIDISCIPLINARY approaches

·        MULTI-LEVEL ANALYSIS

·        THE ROLE OF THE OBSERVER – declaring an observer's perspective in the given context

·        DYNAMICAL approaches

·        AGENTIAL view of life. Living agents navigating „white-water“ (dynamic, largely unpredictable) environments („Wicked problems“)
Cells as collectives of active parts that „dance“ together to produce common goals, based on choreography constrained by chemistry and physics.

·        LOGIC (such as logic in reality-LIR and other non-standard logics)

·        INFORMATION AND COMPUTATION as conceptual glues

o   COMPUTING & algorithms beyond Turing model of computation. Non-algorithmic computation

o   INFORMATION beyond Shannon's model of communication (connects to meaning, that is the role of the observer and agential view of life)

·        New MATHEMATICAL approaches

  *   In the PRODUCTION of knowledge – SHIFT FROM MANUFACURE-STYLE BASED ON HUMAN INTELLIGENCE-ONLY to the extensive use of other, ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCES for tasks like data collection, verification, systematization, literature searches, writing, communication, etc.

The list goes on.

All the best,
Gordana

https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://gordana.se/__;!!D9dNQwwGXtA!UvTDqp9f46c317buFOwM97xyNQUTyxOP5JY585DPS5QZwXFS33z0ccz40UJBtIU1VKjHJT5kQwN0fKvvX2_uYfI342dNJXnq$