[Fis] Can We Go Beyond the Limits of Formal Systems?

Louis Kauffman loukau at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 05:25:30 CET 2024

Dear Karl,
This will be my last communication this week. I was not criticizing your structures. I was speaking of the use of formalism quite generally.
Goedelian limitations happen when the system contains its own logic and is rich enough to do number theory.
In mathematical practice we work with simpler systems that still embody limitations and may embody them even when embedded in larger systems with that logic.

A good example of this hands-on approach to limitations is the following argument.
Suppose that F_{1},F_{2},F_{3},… is any countable list of halting algorithms.
We can assume they are all written in some given programming language and each one can receive a natural number n
and produce the result F_{k}(n) in a finite amount of time.
With this, I can define a new algorithm by the formula F(n) = F_{n}(n) + 1 that also halts and F is not equal to any F_{k}.
Thus any list of halting algorithms is incomplete.

This result applies in any formal system or computer language that can have such algorithms and is what lies in back of Turing’s Theorem that the
Halting Problem is not decidable.

All these situations are part and parcel of the fact that formal systems show more than they can prove.
I do not expect to get beyond formal systems since they are just ways of writing down rules and assumptions that we intend to follow.
But we do need to realize that in actual mathematical and scientific practice one can be ready to not only work within certain formal systems, but one can
make new formal systems that are appropriate to the problems at hand.

There is no magic key to solving hard problems or predicting how structures might combine to form new structures.
At every junction we wait for new ideas or new distinctions that may occur through our experience, practice, observation or inspiration.
Best,
Lou
P.S. I will respond further next week.
PP.S. One of the things that we like to do is compare very different situations. Thus the incompleteness of infinite lists of algorithms resonates with the Euclid’s proof
of the incompleteness of finite lists of primes. Let p1,…, pk be a finite list of prime numbers . Let N = p1x p2 x … x pk +1. Then N is not divisible by and pi and so N is
either a new prime or a product of new primes. The Euclid argument does not apply to infinite products. But Euler gave a different proof of the infinitude of the primes via
the divergence of Sum_{n}(1/n) by writing it as an infinite product: Sum_{n}(1/n)  = Product_{p}(1-1/p)^{-1} where the product runs over all the primes. The product cannot diverge unless it is an infinite product and so there must be infinitely many primes. I imagine that one of Euler’s thoughts in coming to his new proof over 2000 years after Euclid
was wondering how the finite products of Euclid’s proof might be related to the infinite structure of series and convergence and divergence. Mathematical imagination works
both outside and inside given formalities, looking for relationships. The formal systems are the fallout of such imaginings and give us platforms from which to make further
explorations. We live and think outside the formalities and we use the logic and formalities to structure, criticize and launch our own thought.