[Fis] [External] Tao and information processing (for a human): Fwd: Re: Emotional Sentience #2 The Metaphor of The Tao (the last long post!)

Levin, Michael michael.levin at allencenter.tufts.edu
Sun Apr 28 01:54:42 CEST 2024

Hi Aaron,

> but seriously incomplete, in my view,

	Absolutely; if this was complete, we could all go home and all of biomedicine would be solved :-)  certainly it is incomplete. I have focused on some specific issues and ignored many others, as the field is vast.

> As far as I know Levin has not mentioned or offered explanations for the
phenomena I've mentioned (and there's much more that I haven't mentioned). I've
written to him about this.

	correct; I have nothing much to say about innate behavioral competencies of specific animals. But I view them as not more impressive than innate competencies of cells and various embryos in anatomical and physiological spaces - to me, the problem-solving strategies they deploy natively - "out of the box" - are of exactly the same type as the behavioral ones you emphasize. It is behavior, even though in other spaces besides our familiar 3D space, and complex problem-solving behavior at that. So, I think in working on the origin of that, we are addressing fundamentally the question you are asking: where do behavioral competencies, in whatever space, come from. We do have answers to some of that, although - absolutely, incomplete!

Best,

Mike