[Fis] Emotional Sentience #2 The Metaphor of The Tao (the last long post!)

Eric Werner eric.werner at oarf.org
Fri Apr 26 10:03:14 CEST 2024

I don't know Kate, it seems to me like you are trying to squeeze a very
large higher dimensional space into a two dimensional space. When you do
that you have to do an encoding and even if you can achieve that you get
huge discontinuities in your representation of the higher dimensional
space. Hence, your jumping from topic to topic, that may be evidence of
the discontinuities.

One of the beauties of our mind-brain being able to have a unity of
consciousness it that we are able to represent Kantian wholes closer to
what they actually are in terms of their dimensional architecture of
representation.

Wouldn't it be easier to up the dimentionality of the explanation? Or am
I being too unemotional not using my holistic brain-consciousness.

I agree with you the topic of emotions is huge and important. And
directly related to the problem of consciousness.

And I like the fact that you have the courage to attack the problem. And
I like the direction of your evolutionary approach. Your are right,
definitely something there.

But if I sit on a mountain top and focus on the Yin-Yang of the
universe, will it help me get my breakfast the next day?

-Eric

On 4/25/24 10:15 PM, Katherine Peil Kauffman wrote:

> Dear FIS Community,
>
> As promised, here are the key soundbites of my use of the metaphor of
> The Tao as a framework to ground the new emotion science.
>
> In a nutshell, in the ancient tradition of Taoism, The Tao is an
> ongoing riverlike flow, a dynamic creative process, driven by an
> eternal dialectic dance of Yin~Yang complementary opposites. Borrowing
> from these monistic-dualistic themes, I aim to show that the
> Yin~Yang/dualities/we experience in our daily existence are a feature
> not a bug – one central to understanding binary information processing
> in Nature. I offer The Tao as a placeholder the/dynamic process
> /within the creative Flow of Nature, for all complementary opposites
> within it, and all causal principles (known and unknown. I offer it to
> represent the common biophysical hardware that enables and empowers
> the software that enables sentient living creatures to act on their
> own behalf, and all drivers of both mechanistic and agent behavior.
> But I also offer it as a new methodological tool. As an opportunity to
> reframe and reorder/what we think we already know,/by grounding the
> new ideas in/direct human experience/.
>
> In my version of The Tao, the dual Yin~Yang complements represent
> dynamic interactions between/two ontologically/real///physical
> domains/of existence, with their cyclic dialectic transitions unified
> into/Mobius-like monistic flow/. These two domains are variously known
> as: Timeless~Timebound; Implicate~Explicate; Potential~Actual, even
> Spirit~Matter. In terms of mathematics – and as proxy for “The Good,
> The True, and The Beautiful” - I align them with Plato’s original
> Ideal~Material realms. But primarily, I root them in the yet-to-come
> unity of Quantum~Classical mechanical processes/./In emphasizing both
> the /complementarity and/the/uncertainty relations/of the quantum
> realm, we find an inroad to how sentient subjects perceive and
> actively participate within the creative Flow of The Tao. Indeed,
> evidence suggests that the complementary opposites
> within/electromagnetism/(/positive~negative/charge;
> magnetic/attraction~repulsion/as well as the
> oscillatory/wave-like/nature of matter, (/in~out/phase
> relations/,//constructive~destructive/interference), and
> harmonic/resonance~dissonance/ undergird the binary dimension within
> emotional experience.
>
> For purposes of this discussion, we will call these two
> domains:*/Domain 0 and Domain 1/*, respectively; wherein the ongoing
> cyclic transitions between them form the computational engine of The
> Tao. This dance delivers the/algorithmic logic/of Turing machines, and
> the/opponent processes/, metastability and regulatory switching,
> evident in metabolism, morphogenesis, genetic and the autonomic neural
> networks embody behavioral control. For brain scientists, Domains 0~1
> are evident in the ongoing interactions and specialized functions of
> [...]
/Dr. Eric Werner
Oxford Advanced Research Foundation
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://oarf.org__;!!D9dNQwwGXtA!Qy2KI5K-ijYA1tWwm38aw1-zX1g7H7bb5akKKokrTbs9-ZpEOiiO3R_wlLZYHV3Ahvle8PSgEthBX7xfns6IK-A$

/