[Fis] Emotional Sentience & Information

Carlos Gershenson cgershen at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 18:48:39 CEST 2024

Hi Kate,

I believe I mentioned Marvin Minsky’s work the last time we met, but I thing it is good to share it with everyone.
Minsky was one of the founders of artificial intelligence (1956), and in his influential book “The Society of Mind” (1986) he wrote something like “the question is not whether intelligent machines will have emotions. The question is whether a machine without emotions can be intelligent.” Later Minsky delved deeper in this topic in his book “The Emotion Machine” (2006).

Last century, as an undergrad, I was also interested in modeling emotions in artificial systems. Since you can have contradictions (e.g. Schadenfreude as Stu mentioned), I developed a paraconsistent extension of fuzzy logic that can handle them and them map into a consistent logic: https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://tendrel.binghamton.edu/unam/jlagunez/mdl/mdlemotions.html__;!!D9dNQwwGXtA!RtBPUORFNxQjYRK8qFMPhqpNYfdL_fX1x23yvdd4mKxSNXZ7KQHkNwUr6wfNxW26vW4icQxXYL8iyogCqII$

Georgina Reséndiz-Benhumea is one of my PhD students. She has been working on bringing together the social and affective aspects of cognition from an enactive perspective. Still work in progress, but some preliminary results at https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://direct.mit.edu/isal/proceedings/isal2023/35/127/116948__;!!D9dNQwwGXtA!RtBPUORFNxQjYRK8qFMPhqpNYfdL_fX1x23yvdd4mKxSNXZ7KQHkNwUr6wfNxW26vW4icQxXYL8iJQoYPzk$

For the affectivity part, she is inspired by the work of Giovanna Colombetti (we were both at Sussex 20+ years ago): https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://mitpress.mit.edu/9780262533768/the-feeling-body/__;!!D9dNQwwGXtA!RtBPUORFNxQjYRK8qFMPhqpNYfdL_fX1x23yvdd4mKxSNXZ7KQHkNwUr6wfNxW26vW4icQxXYL8i4GKlhAs$

Best wishes,
Carlos