[Fis] Emotional Sentience & Information

Gordana Dodig Crnkovic gordana.dodig-crnkovic at chalmers.se
Sat Apr 6 17:28:39 CEST 2024

Hello Kate,

Thank you very much for bringing this incredibly important topic to our attention at FIS.

Your contribution aligns with a larger movement aiming to reintegrate emotion as a crucial component of cognition and rationality. And it has many strong opponents. Despite that, currently, there's a growing consensus among many researchers who are exploring concepts like embodied and enactive cognition (Di Paolo & Thompson) as well as basal cognition (Mike Levin) that you mention. Numerous other prominent scientists are lending their support to this direction.

While reflecting on your Introduction, I remember a particularly intriguing new research paper:
Arthur S. Reber, František Baluška, William B. Miller, and Predrag Slijepčević. (2024). "The sensual cell: Feeling and affect in unicellular species." BioSystems, Volume 238, 105197, ISSN 0303-2647.
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biosystems.2024.105197__;!!D9dNQwwGXtA!RE7LOkB8BYjs6AC-bh3IF6cm-OV1LbtXEVtDhlbf9BYuDYgq9yRaQGyFOu26bv8gCoZQJgoa0K8A_D0UrZnBKnK4pjg0rbFx$ .
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0303264724000820__;!!D9dNQwwGXtA!RE7LOkB8BYjs6AC-bh3IF6cm-OV1LbtXEVtDhlbf9BYuDYgq9yRaQGyFOu26bv8gCoZQJgoa0K8A_D0UrZnBKnK4phf3GztG$

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this study and how it might relate to the ongoing debates about cognition and emotion.
Looking forward to your insights.

Best regards,
Gordana

Gordana Dodig-Crnkovic
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.chalmers.se/en/staff/Pages/gordana-dodig-crnkovic.aspx__;!!D9dNQwwGXtA!RE7LOkB8BYjs6AC-bh3IF6cm-OV1LbtXEVtDhlbf9BYuDYgq9yRaQGyFOu26bv8gCoZQJgoa0K8A_D0UrZnBKnK4ppRCox7o$
https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.es.mdh.se/staff/37-Gordana_Dodig_Crnkovic__;!!D9dNQwwGXtA!RE7LOkB8BYjs6AC-bh3IF6cm-OV1LbtXEVtDhlbf9BYuDYgq9yRaQGyFOu26bv8gCoZQJgoa0K8A_D0UrZnBKnK4plt5wRkh$
https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://gordana.se/__;!!D9dNQwwGXtA!RE7LOkB8BYjs6AC-bh3IF6cm-OV1LbtXEVtDhlbf9BYuDYgq9yRaQGyFOu26bv8gCoZQJgoa0K8A_D0UrZnBKnK4pp9U1ZmW$