[Fis] [covid-19-therapy] More evidence for coming AI threats

Dr. Plamen L. Simeonov plamen.l.simeonov at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 20:22:04 CEST 2023

On Fri, Mar 31, 2023 at 7:06 PM Keith Henson <hkeithhenson at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 31, 2023 at 2:54 AM Dr. Plamen L. Simeonov
> <plamen.l.simeonov at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > The last word is the most characteristic.
> > If diversity of computing architectures and operating systems were
> embedded as a regulation requirement, such machine pandemics would not
> happen.
>
> This was a Microsoft SQL application.

Yes, which usually runs on a Microsoft OS machine, which is the most in
this world not considered to be entirely flawless against ransomware and
other malware that certainly needs updated antivirus products in alertness.

For an encapsulated "Parallels" MS SQL app that runs in a MacOS
sandbox,there is no way to do some damage because MacOS takes care of such
vulnerabilities and crashes the app only, as far as I know.

Microsoft has been a single point of failure for the most intruders
software for the simple reason that it dominated and still dominates the
market and this is the main motive of hackers to cause maximum damage.
That's why I said that the more OSes exist - e.g. more than 3 as we usually
have now - e.g. 30 - long live diversity - the hackers' efforts would be
less successful to block the internet.

> To be useful, it had to
> communicate in a standard way (UDP).

Sure,

> There were 75,000 machines
> infected, the only thing in common was running this application.

I think they were all Microsoft machines.
That's why I left their products 15 years ago  to live a happier life.
This does not mean that there are no Apple viruses, but they are less
effective if one takes the required measures.

The
> 75,000 machine, sending out packets to infect other machines as fast
> as they could, saturated the internet and did an estimated billion
> dollars of damage.

Microsoft had to pay for that. It's their fault of not providing
sufficiently reliable and safe products.
The same software guru with no medical education is now meddling with
vaccine production and the results lie at hand.
Never ever trust Bill Gates. Period.

> > Is it really so important that all systems should interoperate and
> "feel" their neighbourhood all the time, and not just on demand using
> standardized safe protocols?
>
> I don't know.  I am not at all sure what you are suggesting or how it
> would apply to a situation like this one.

I simply mean that you can run your smartphone in AirPlain mode and your
computer without WLAN most of the time if you need it.
This is easy to do. In this way you can limit the time for lurking viruses
from somewhere outside to enter your machine.

> It's been 20 years.  The author has not been found.  As far as I know,
> the vulnerability to this kind of disaster is still there.

Yes, because people have not learned to look for exotic OSes, computers and
smartphones.They can simply demand them and not embrace every cheap
solution.

> The lesson
> is that these things can spread faster than humans can react.
>
> Yes.

> Could an AI pull this kind of takeover on the net?

AI is always a double-edged knife. As any software,iIt can improve things
if you pay, and it can worsen them if someone else pays.
There is no free lunch.

It might, but why
> bother, just write whatever it wants into a patch or the next version
> of popular operating systems..

That's the key. The OS should not be that popular.
Your behavior when using computers - too.

Best,

Plamen