[Fis] THE ROOTS OF MODERN CIVILISATION

Howard Bloom howlbloom at aol.com
Sun Jan 8 01:36:48 CET 2023

this document may be helpful:

WHY SAVE THE WESTERN SYSTEM?

By

Howard Bloom

 The war in the Ukraine isa battle between the western system and the systems of autocrats like VladimirPutin and Xi Jinping.  It is a battlebetween democracy and dictatorship.

 This raises aquestion:  why fight to save the westernsystem?

 Every belief system thatappeals to our idealism claims that it will lift the poor and the oppressed.  But the Western System has lifted the poorand oppressed more than any other system in history.

 Judge for yourself:

 ·       The western system has lifted a billion people out ofpoverty in a mere thirty years.[ii]

·       The western system has more than doubled the human lifespan.  If you’d been born in 1850, your expectedlifespan would have been 37.5 years.  Ifyou’d been born in the West in 2000, your expected lifespan would have been78.5 years.  Chinese Emperors werewilling to spend almost all of their wealth to achieve an extra four years oflife.  But the western system has addedanother 40. No other system in the history of the world—not the Chinese,Egyptian, Muslim, Russian, or Roman—has ever pulled this off.

·       If you’d been the poorest paid worker in London in2012, a personal assistant, you would have earned what an entire tenement fullof the poorest paid workers in London were paid in 1850.

·       If you gave a bunch of average western kids today a StanfordBinet IQ test from 1916, today’s kids would register as near geniuses.  They’d register an average IQ of roughly135.  That’s an IQ Jump of 35 points.

·       If you were born into the western system in 2000, yourheight would have been four inches taller than if you’d been born in 1850.

·       Since 1650, the western system has upped the level ofpeace by a factor of ten.  If you wereborn in an indigenous culture, one of those tribes that “lives in peace withits fellow man and in harmony with nature,” your odds of dying a violent death at the hands of a fellow human beingwould have been ten times what they are in the west today.  Yes, thanks to the western system there isten times more peace in the world today.

 If our great, greatgrandparents could give us an extra 40 years of life, we owe an extra 40 moreto our great, great grandchildren.  Ifour great, great grandparents could septuple the incomes of the poorest workersamong us, surely we owe another septupling to our great great grandkids.  If our great, great grandparents could up theaverage IQ by 35 points, surely we owe another 35 to our great great grandkids.  And if our great  great grandparents could increase the peacein the world by a factor of ten, surely we owe our great great grandkids tentimes more.

 But to carry out thisobligation, we need to see and value what we’ve achieved.  And we need to tenaciously defend the systemthat has given us these gifts.   We needto realize that the western system is not the worst system in the  history of mankind, it is the best.  And we need to defend its values—freedom ofspeech, tolerance, and democracy. Topping all that, we need to defend the western system’s greatest hiddensecret—a perpetual balancing act between three elements—government, privateenterprise, and the protest industry.

 ***

 What are the westernsystem’s core values?  Democracy,pluralism, tolerance, and freedom of speech.

 The result?  The western system is the only system in thehistory of the world that has ever invented:

 ·       Human rights

·       The abolition of slavery

·       The concept of freedom

·       Individualism

·       The peace movement

·       The anti-imperialist movement

·       Diversity

·       Freedom of speech

·       Freedom of the press

·       The concept of equality.

·       The environmental movement

·       A concern about endangered species

·       A concept of animal rights

·       The idea of global warming

·       The desire to save the planet

 If the western systemgoes, all of these things go with it. Under the Russians, the Chinese, or the Muslims, all of these woulddisappear and be replaced by the requirement to say only what the authoritieswant you to say.  No more rights.  No more LGBTQ.  No more protests.  In Afghanistan, imprisonment in the house forwomen.  And the right to beat your wife.

 We must keep the westernsystem alive.  And we must keep thewestern system striving for a glittering future for all of humankind.
for more see my book The Genius of the Beast: a Radical Re-Vision of Capitalism______

[ii] https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.economist.com/leaders/2013/06/01/towards-the-end-of-poverty__;!!D9dNQwwGXtA!QwKw4596oBjhPlDqKJz7us3x8fInOQWoKd_PzqXK7v6uiq50DDc4nMr72oXTQDNO0hE_Il-gJvLbSpj90A$ , https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://ourworldindata.org/poverty?insight=global-extreme-poverty-declined-substantially-over-the-last-generation*key-insights-on-poverty__;Iw!!D9dNQwwGXtA!QwKw4596oBjhPlDqKJz7us3x8fInOQWoKd_PzqXK7v6uiq50DDc4nMr72oXTQDNO0hE_Il-gJvLUZL8C-Q$