[Fis] New Discussion on Complex Self-Other Interactions and Gödelization of Biology

Pedro C. Marijuán pedroc.marijuan at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 20:48:10 CEST 2022

Dear Sheri and FIS Colleagues,

Thanks a lot for your impressive text. The interpenetration of
logic-computation and biology-immunology for the analysis of the
"algorithmic" defense of self versus the non-self raises a number of
relevant issues. I will refer to a few.
You briefly mention Barbieri's code biology & codepoieis on the
complexification of eukaryotes vs. prokaryotes (my own take comes from
Villarreal, "ex viruses omnia", enlarging McClintock on mobile
elements). It is very interesting to discuss the new forms of
vulnerability of the multicellulars precisely by those viral ancestries
at the same time evolutionary associates & foes. The innate branch of
the immune system probably already had predecessors in unicellular
eukaryotes (there is an ancestral form of "protosynapse" between them
that predates the immune and the neuronal synapses). The relationship
between immune and nervous systems is so deep... you can be quite right
searching for both self vs. non-self recognition-strategies in both of
them. There is also the intriguing presence and tentative regulation of
around 20 trillion bacteria (also fungi & viruses) of more than 2,000
species into the gut microbiome. The way immune & neural enteric system
intermingle in the sheparding of that "ecosystemic cattle" is amazing.
Probably it could be another instance of mixed algorithmic strategy not
far away from your own search scope.
Months ago, a leading researcher on ribosome
structure/function/evolution lectured in this list--Youri Timsit. I
wonder whether he has been around and read the present text, at least in
the comment on ribosomes.
Going to Mirror System Neurons, my opinion is that other species apart
from primates use it, see for instance domestic dogs' amazing mind
reading capabilities. Perhaps in the very inner representations of self
(sensory, motor, visceral, plus the different pain systems) you may find
other instances of advanced self vs. non-self operatives.
And cancer? That means a dramatic breach of the self organization. The
transformation of self into an invader non-self. We start to understand
a little bit into the sets of mutations of the different cancer types.
Whatever formal approaches will be of help.

Sorry that I cannot discuss on the suggestive formalisms you
utilize--other FISers will do. At the time being these are my initial,
mostly biological, comments.

Thanks again,
--Pedro

El 25/10/2022 a las 20:42, Markose, Sheri escribió:

> Dear Colleagues -  I look forward to your valuable comments.
>
> *G*ö*delian Self-Referential Genomic Information Processing: Complex
> Self-Other Interactions and Novelty Production***
>
> **
>
> */Overview for Foundations of Information Science Discussion – /*
>
> */Sheri Markose 25-10-2022/*
>
>  1. *Background ***
>
> Complexity, evolvability, novelty production and ‘thinking outside the
> box’ in biology and humans have for most part relied on models of
> randomness or on statistical white noise error terms.
>
>                   The digitization of inheritable information in the
> genome encoded in a near universal alphabet  (A,T,C,G/U) has been
> called the ‘algorithmic takeover of biology’ by Walker and Davis
> (2013).  The Faustian pact at the genesis of life colourfully
> portrayed by Freeman Dyson  as ‘ the takeover of a replicative digital
> virus of an analogue metabolism’ accords with the perspective of
> Forterre, Zimmer, Villareal, Koonin and others. This underpins the
> remarkable fact that in nature only life and biology as we know it and
> the artifacts of genomic intelligence (GI) thereof are explicitly code
> based digital systems.
>
>                      Genomic intelligence is a concept introduced in
> Markose (2021)
> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://doi.org/10.3390/e23040405__;!!D9dNQwwGXtA!RRmmHQCs_Cav9UXiPz27dODNI-Kke3ky-PhpVLOvgOETwB-s3hTK7egkhJHf5AFKr0UuxLxzixSqV3O-kDY$>
> specifically to characterize the Gödelization of code-based
> information processing in genomic systems with the distinctive
> self-referential conditions of Gödel Incompleteness results that
> appear to have been acquired for complexification over the course of
> evolution of multicellular eukaryote life, Markose (2022)
> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biosystems.2022.104718__;!!D9dNQwwGXtA!RRmmHQCs_Cav9UXiPz27dODNI-Kke3ky-PhpVLOvgOETwB-s3hTK7egkhJHf5AFKr0UuxLxzixSqPn2Rp5k$>.
> To explain the latter in contrast to the relative stasis of
> prokaryotes, which has remain unchanged since inception, Barbieri
> (2012<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0303264722001022*bib10__;Iw!!D9dNQwwGXtA!RRmmHQCs_Cav9UXiPz27dODNI-Kke3ky-PhpVLOvgOETwB-s3hTK7egkhJHf5AFKr0UuxLxzixSqdTKw3lg$>;
> 2018)<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0303264722001022*bib13__;Iw!!D9dNQwwGXtA!RRmmHQCs_Cav9UXiPz27dODNI-Kke3ky-PhpVLOvgOETwB-s3hTK7egkhJHf5AFKr0UuxLxzixSq0lIhVMs$>,for
> instance, has resorted to Code Biology and Codeopoiesis, viz. biotic
> code based explanations to complement  the more popular thermodynamic
> explanations of self-organization and
> autopoiesis<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/mathematics/autopoiesis__;!!D9dNQwwGXtA!RRmmHQCs_Cav9UXiPz27dODNI-Kke3ky-PhpVLOvgOETwB-s3hTK7egkhJHf5AFKr0UuxLxzixSqDFaksjk$>.
> Igamberdiev
> [...]

Este correo electrónico ha sido analizado en busca de virus por el software antivirus de Avast.
https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.avast.com__;!!D9dNQwwGXtA!VjWwIkL60bibt959O3m6EV26nqXTKieshoXQHxU79whq7T-NQL_EcMrWjLFpM1IfqAtiSZZuqeZNDwqrzlTo2usuFIom$