[Fis] How Molecules Became Signs. LIFE CYCLES

Pedro C. Marijuán pedroc.marijuan at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 20:06:00 CET 2022

Dear List,

Some comments on the recent exchanges that I will try to connect with
the informational centrality of "life cycles".

The input-output view, apparently common to stimulus/response and to
physical interactions (Howard), forgets a relevant characteristic of
life:  it does not follow blindly the requisites of its boundary
conditions, its inputs, but has inner drives (conatus principle for
Spinoza) that impels it to circumvent adverse conditions and to change
its own structure and dynamics so to keep ahead with the potential
advancement of the life cycle. The inanimate is inert and just follows
the laws of nature, the animate establishes its own lawfulness.
Obviously we, ourselves, are not restricted to input/output in our daily
life. Most of our behavior stems from inner needs or drives, from
impulses that overall grant us a tentative fit withing our environment
and our social groups. Not different from all the other forms of life.

The life cycle is essential in signaling science, in bacteriology, in
microbial ecology, in multicellular development & specialization, in
epigenesis, in ecological disciplines, social sciences, daily life...

In our societies, we use sketches or records of our life cycles in
progress: short "bios", CVs, biographies, etc. In order to fruitfully
communicate and understand the other party we need to have some idea on
the age, sex, ideas, professional background, family... how the life
cycle has progressed. And last but not least we compose fine obituaries
at the end.
That it becomes an embarrassing theme for formal approaches does not
diminishes at all the centrality of life cycle in relation with the
sources and destinies of communication processes and the subsequent
elaboration of meaning. Well, we can make a rough sketch of the
communication process as occurs in life, prune it of all its complex
aspects of inner drives & cycle, and then apply it as stimulus/response
to everything. Not serious. A bland metaphor.

How molecules may support that type of life communication? The simplest,
most consistent way relates to prokaryotic cells and their signaling
systems. All further down we may speculate on protobiology is just that,
speculations on a scientifically unsolved matter.

Regards---Pedro