[Fis] The Sports, Music and Information Worlds. Response to Wolfgang

Lars-Göran Johansson Lars-Goran.Johansson at filosofi.uu.se
Thu Mar 3 00:08:35 CET 2022

I just saw an interview with Michail Khodorovsky, (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7jxPqeOF5s) the exiled opponent who was in jail in Russia for 10 years for opposing Putin. He predicted that Putin’s regime will come to an end within a couple of years or so, when the discontent with Putin is sufficiently widespread and strong.  But Khodorovsky said that still the general public in Russia   supports the war, they believe the propaganda that Russia is liberating the Ukrainian people from their nazist rulers. But the support for Putin will erode when the facts become more widespread in Russia and Khodorovsky believed that in the end  that is inevitable. I sincerely hope  Khodorovsky will prove right.

This war will end some time, but not in the near future, so we will see heavy suffering and pain, without any effective means to stop it. What we can do  is to send Ukraine effective weapons, such as  anti-tank missile systems.

No matter the outcome of the war  in Ukraine, it  has already  had  lasting effects on the western world; an unprecedented unity, a concerted effort to end the Russian oligarch’s money laundering in west, and a  new awareness of our common values, liberty, freedom, democracy, rule of law. I share the view, expressed by many, that Putin’s war agains Ukraine is in a sense a war against western values in general, and the entire western world have realized how much they have in common. This is most wellcome.

 I was really astonished by the complete U-turn in Germany’s policy, it  has  never, since the foundation  of the Bundesrepublik 1949, exported military equipment to any country at war, no matter its democratic government and right to self-defense. Now it took only two days for the German government to change that, and I see this as a very positive sign. My country, Sweden, has made a similar move by deciding to export some (not very much, but still) military equipment to Ukraine and we have had a similar principle of not exporting weapons to country at war, no matter its democracy and justified self-defense.
Another positive side-effect is that the autocratic regimes of Hungary and Poland have stopped flirting with Putin.

Lars-Göran