[Fis] The Sports, Music and Information Worlds

Wolfgang Hofkirchner wolfgang.hofkirchner at is4si.org
Tue Mar 1 13:28:39 CET 2022

dear friends,

we are scientists, we are colleagues, we are international, we are even part of the spearhead of a future common humanity, we are working for the common good. and many of us are paid by their governments, by funds of eu etc. as to myself, i had tried the last years two times in vain for being funded by a joint bid of an austrian and a russian fund on a project on shaping human cyber futures. i had a team of the moscow academy of sciences and others, but was stalled because of anti-russian reviewers. thus, it is my view, we should not let policy interfere in academic exchange to an extent that hinders international collaboration. we should be very cautious to blame each other for that. we are not responsible for what our governments are doing, we can even oppose their policy, but this is up to each of us.

as an international community, we need to have in mind how that conflict can be solved. and if there is a conflict, then all conflicting partners need to engage in conflict resolution. it is contraproductive (and inhumane) to oust one side. all are needed for establishing relations that prevent military measures – in our case, the establishment of a common security architecture, that is, including russia, nato states of eu as well as united states. the war will not be halted by sanctions. sanctions do prepare only the next round of escalation, not to speak of providing weaponry to one side. the war can be halted only by negotiations that thematise the underlying grounds of conflict.

don’t forget that the second cold war is not only with russia. for the united states it is, predominantly, with china. shall we put at stake our collaboration with our chinese colleagues?

w.