[Fis] [External Email] Re: Biological computation session - Kickoff Text. Comment

Andrei Igamberdiev a_igamberdiev at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 18 16:28:38 CEST 2022

Dear Stan, dear Gordana,

I completely agree with your statement. The QM interpretation can be validated as the concept substantiating, e.g., the criteria of the system's optimization and efficiency in prevailing against disturbances, etc. The question here is whether metamathematics can be validated and be efficient as mathematics itself, as the foundations of theoretical biology are relevant to metamathematical challenges of formulation of the basic principles of reasoning relevant to those that we have in the foundations of mathematics. The concept of univalent foundations of mathematics developed by Voevodsky, which we discussed in the special issue of Biosystems last year, assumes that metamathematical statements can be validated also on computer. Here is the link to the editorial and to the papers of the special issue on the foundations of mathematics and theoretical biology:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/journal/biosystems/special-issue/10PPLLRFK11

When we analyze the transitions between the potential and the actual and apply QM approaches to biological systems, the practical goal is to validate evolutionary efficiency of biological systems, their optimality and organizational invariance.

Thank you Gordana for definitive formulation in your post the ideas, concepts and chalenges related to natural computation.  In particular, it is important that memory that appears in living systems having loop causality enables them to anticipate external changes, memorize and react on them. This provides the link to the semiotic aspect of living systems, as memory appears as a sign-creating activity which underlies operation and evolution of living systems. Overcoming of the limits of computation itself is non-computable as novelty is the event of zero probability but we need to have an approach to analyze this and thus to comprehend the basis of the evolutionary process.

All the best,
Andrei