[Fis] Linking mathematical Indices in the natural sciences. was: Re: Links to YouTube videos of Dec 15 ZOOM session & reminder of meeting on Wed, Jan 19th 2022

Louis Kauffman loukau at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 07:43:25 CET 2022

Dear Folks,
I am just popping in on this discussion to add a couple of comments about the Rota article.
He is discussing the fact that multiple formalizations of given mathematical topics add to the richness of their understanding.
If you take the formalist position that a mathematical topic is DEFINED by its axiomatization, this attitude seems problematical,
But if you take the attitude (Wittgenstein II) that the meaning of the mathematics is in its use, that is the meaning is  in the skein of relationships with mathematical use, applications and
a variety of languages, then it is not surprising that to “one” mathematical topic there may be a variety of axiomatizations and a variety of contexts in which it may be understood.
Rota’s remarks are very well thought out and apply to many situations.

You can look at the mathematical side of things, by thinking back to your childhood when you learned arithmetic.
(I am so ancient that we had no electronic calculators then, but we did have adding machines. I was fascinated by the machine in my father’s clothing store. Pull a lever and add!)
You did not learn arithmetic on the basis of axioms. But you learned that it made sense. Its results corresponding with your abilities to count and work with number signs.
It was language and activity that was part of the larger language and activity that was your life and school life at that time. You came to understand relations between arithmetic and
geometric thinking (slicing a pie and fractions and all that). You understood what you were doing in the consistency of those actions.

Axiomatization, if you have seen it, for arithmetic requires that the person know algebra. You had to learn algebra before you could axiomatize.
When you think about it, you see that formal axiomatization of a mathematical topic is the LAST thing that happens. You do not start there, and it may be helpful to do it a different way.
Rota concludes that the mathematics is not captured by a single axiomatization. I agree. But it means that mathematics, like any other human activity is part of our language and relations.
All such activity involves both syntax and semantics. We can see how meaning does arise from choices of syntax. And we can see how choices of syntax arise from our meanings and our
uses. Meaning and Syntax are two poles of our activity that, like the poles of a magnet, are inseparable. But they are also malleable in relation to our dialogues.

I believe that all of these thoughts inform the discussions we have here about information where, once again, there are poles of meaning and syntax so strongly debated.
Very best,
Lou Kauffman