[Fis] Book Presentation. The Interpersonal domain. Good Dualism and Bad Dualism

Loet Leydesdorff loet at leydesdorff.net
Wed Apr 27 10:19:05 CEST 2022

Dear Pedor,

>Beyond philosophical nuances, one of the most intriguing aspects of art
>would concern its relationship with the intellectual & cultural ethos
>of each epoch.
>Art, stemming from inner drives of almost unfathomable origins, seems
>to provide a compensation for some of the absences in the daily life of
>citizens (a mostly urban phenomenon).
It seems to me that art is a specific (functionally different)
communication system.
The "inner drives of almost unfathomable origins" play a role in the
socio-genesis. but "compensation for some of  the absences in the daily
life of citizens" can only be explained at the above-individual (that
is, sociological) level.

Luhmann, N. (2000). Art as a Social System (Translated by Eva M. Knodt):
Stanford University Press, Stanford.

>The observer, or listener, gets some of the intellective/emotional
>contents emitted by the art producer, and that's satisfying for the
>permanent search for novelty that characterizes our species in
>civilized life regimes.
>Your polysemic use of "contrast" is well adapted to discuss the above,
>I think, both in the art object and in the receiver whole appreciation.
>
>The curious point is that the historical evolution of art becomes a
>fascinating mirror of social evolution itself. Thinking on Western art
>(classic, medieval, renaissance, neoclassic, modern...), how contents
>and styles have been evolved with the mentality of each epoch....
>Reminding about "media", It would echo what McLuhan was saying about
>means of communication: every new media alters the psychic equilibrium
>and forces a mental readaptation of the individual within the whole
>communication mosaic.
>
>Coming to our times, How far could go the present "deconstruction" of
>art, seemingly reduced to presentation of brute "novelty"?
>Is there a way back to art contents satisfying the appetite  for
>intellective/emotional contents?
>
>To complicate things for the worse, some portions of "public art" seem
>to have been swallowed by the superultimate "cancelation culture".
>Is there anything left uncensored of the cultural & artistic past?
Yes, there is the artwork itself.  The communication is present for
those who are able to attend.

Is this relating?
Best, Loet