[Fis] Michael Spitzer's "The Musical Human" - of interest to some in this group

Mark Johnson johnsonmwj1 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 20:48:26 CEST 2021

Dear all,

I thought I'd draw your attention to a fascinating and ambitious new book
called "The Musical Human" on music and evolution by a Liverpool colleague
and friend of mine, Michael Spitzer: The Musical Human: A History of Life
on Earth: Amazon.co.uk: Spitzer, Michael: 9781635576245: Books
<https://www.amazon.co.uk/Musical-Human-History-Life-Earth/dp/1635576245>

I know that a number of you have a deep interest in this (and indeed, Loet
and I wrote about it recently - Redundancies in the communication of music:
An operationalization of Schutz's ‘Making Music Together’ - Johnson - -
Systems Research and Behavioral Science - Wiley Online Library
<https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/sres.2738>) but Michael's
tracing of musical evolution draws in Terry's semiotic work and
evolutionary biology, and is at the very least (but much more) a direct
challenge to the likes of Steven Pinker.

It has also garnered a lot of attention already: BBC Radio 4 - The Musical
Human by Michael Spitzer <https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000tslv>, The
Musical Human by Michael Spitzer review – a wide-ranging global history of
music | Books | The Guardian
<https://www.theguardian.com/books/2021/apr/03/the-musical-human-by-michael-spitzer-review-a-wide-ranging-global-history-of-music>,
all of which sets the stage for a re-examination of this fundamental
evolutionary phenomenon.

Best wishes,

Mark

--