[Fis] The 10 Principles--Replies

Loet Leydesdorff loet at leydesdorff.net
Sun Sep 20 09:41:56 CEST 2020

>>This may be the case for biological evolution, but communication
>>technologies enable us to include non-adjacent distinctions.
>>
>--Nope. As said above, we may only imply that those media or techno
>info are non-local only AFTER THEIR CARRIERS HAVE "TOUCHED" OUR
>RECEPTORS and we have built thousands and thousands of
>micro-distinctions flowing bottom-up and top-down that produce a
>meaning and finally they make us say, "oh, yes, this is non-local info
>about the US politics". It may take barely an instant, and all of those
>processes are transparent for us.
Dear Pedro,

It seems to me that you reason most about information carriers, but not
about information. The carriers can also transform the information. For
example, the receptors can be expected to filter.

>[...]
>>By the way, curiously "channel" in the Shanonian scheme represents
>>also that which brings information to the adjacency of the receiver.
>>
>>The commonality exhibits, in my opinion, the mathematical character.
>>Once one abstracts from materiality, a mathematical definition becomes
>>unavoidable. Only math (and logic) can be used across domains. Do you
>>have such a definition, equivalent to the Shannon H?
>>
>--Interesting, but do you think the Shannonian metrics is the only
>thing in common?
There is a number of these measures. Shannon-type is relatively simple
and elaborate. Essentia non sint multiplicanda.  The alternatives are
not essentially different.

>But my point revolves about a better understanding of sharing a
>life-cycle (& its experiential load--a culture for instance) as a
>powerful level-playing field in social and biological communication. It
>dissolves eons of complexity.
As you know, I am against this program. Reducing society to a
meta-biology reduces the social sciences to a commentary. They can be
sui generis. The application of biological systems theory to society
(sociobiology) to be resisted. For example, we don't wish the strongest
to be the fittest. The rule of law cannot be reduced to biology.

Best,
Loet