[Fis] Could you formulate your idea in short abstract (about 200 words)?

Karl Javorszky karl.javorszky at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 16:07:04 CEST 2020

Cuts and Information

Dear Krassimir,

it is very kind and considerate of you to insist on a clarity of terms and
that the terms used be connected to terms already in use. In our case, the
term “cut” may be understood better and more precisely, than the term
“information”, (former generally agreed on to mean a separation symbol
dissecting an interval into two segments, the latter has not yet gained
general recognition as the difference between target value and actual
value). On your wish, I shall undertake to explain the term “cut” in such a
fashion, that it blends in within the picture of “information”.

Information is understood to refer to the remaining alternatives. The term
‘information’ refers to a state of the world which is – presently – not the
case. The simplest demonstration of the concept is a temporal one:
information is that part of the day (week, month, year, etc.) which has
already passed or will yet come. Information does however also exist in the
moment. To operationalise the term, we had to find some properties of that
what is the case, which can be otherwise than expected. Information is the
difference between expectations and realisations (hence the difference
between target value and actual value). We have found properties of cycles
to be suited to demonstrate the existence of information in the world of
cycles: any cycle is a concept that has properties which are
similarity-based and also such properties which are diversity-based. The
former measure counts the linear, planar, spatial distances that separate
the members of a cycle; the latter measure refers to the diversity among
the members that follow each other. (In simple terms: in cycle *C*, the
aggregate distance of elements is *km, *the number of members in the corpus
of the cycle is *n*. Cycle *C *has the properties *C(km,n). *The
information content of cycle C is counted by building a combination of *two
*kinds of deviations from expectations: Kind *A *is an expectation for the
value *n*, based on the fact of the value *km*; Kind *B *is an expectation
for the value *km*, based on the fact of the value *n*. *InfA = exp_val(n,
f(km)), InfB = exp_val(km, f(n)), *where *exp_val(i,(f(j)) *is an
algorithm, which yields the most probable extent of *i, *based on actual
value *j*. (Whether or not the two values *InfA and InfB *are actually
additive, and if so, how, remains to be established, based on observations.)

We are habituated and well at home in the techniques of establishing the
value *km, *because the measure roots in *N, *as we count Cartesian
distances between the coordinates of members of the cycle. The novelty in
the approach to the exact and numerically approachable definition of
information lies in the calculation of a *diversity measure* which is
descriptive of the members of the cycle. What we refer to here as *diversity
*means the *qualitative differences *among the members of the cycle
(generally: collection), which is calculated using a background that is
different to *N. *(Balls being coloured in differing shades of red and
green, being differently big and differently striped, show properties,
where their differences are counted on scales that are others than *N*, in
contrast relative to their mutual distances, which are counted in units of
*N*).

We now address the task of developing a numbering and counting system that
perceives, identifies, distinguishes, categorises, focuses on, counts
*diversity*. For this errand, the cuts come in handy. We can describe the
collection by saying that of *n *balls,* n1 *are light red cum dark green,*
n2 *are XL size big*, n3 *are thinly striped, etc. Whether *n1 + n2 + n3 =
n, *will tell, how many of the elements share symbols of differing
categories. This is a description which leaves room for variants. (*Where *the
elements are, appears at first of no relevance. In a subsequent step, we
shall filter out such, which agree to a concurrent description of the
assembly by stating that *∑(1, n) kmi = km.* The rest is information.)

For practical purposes, it appears to be helpful to use the *cuts *as
descriptive words of a sentence about the collection. The cuts, in the
understanding of *2k *parentheses, where *k=1,2,3,.., *group elements
together and, at the same time, separate elements from each other. Their
notation is exact, and also versatile, because they can build up families.
(On the shelf of a library, the separation placeholder at the end of *{Dramas,
Greek dramas, published before 1976} *can be colour-coded to signify the
end of *{n1* *dramas, n2 Greek dramas, n3 published before 1976}. *Cuts are
composite symbols.

The proposition is reiterated to devote time, brain, creativity and
scientific curiosity to the task of *learning how to count by using cuts as
basic units. *The proposition is a small, technical part of no big value as
such, within the innovative general idea of using *two *measuring and
counting systems that are syntactically different, while – in cases of
agreement – both say semantically the same. The cuts as words of a
statement do not convey any different meaning to the meaning of a statement
the words of which describe continuities. They are simply – at first - more
cumbersome to deal with. The advantage lies in their richness in details.
The details restrict the ways the assembly can be represented in a linear
enumeration (as a linear, planar, spatial configuration.) If the
restrictions reach a stage, where *it cannot be otherwise than *a specific
linear arrangement being quasi-bijectively mapped to a spatial arrangement:
then we will have understood, how theoretical genetics functions.

Let me offer you a *risquée *allegory. Imagine that someone is advocating
to count the cuts in Roman numerals, and the *km *distances among the
members in Arabic numerals. It is self-evident, that although Roman
numerals MDCIXL and XVII point to the same elements of *N *as *1639 *and *17
*do, they are much more complicated to conduct a multiplication with. The
algorithm of multiplication of two Roman numerals is, however, much richer
on implicated axioms and is quite educative. One has to assume that diverse
upper limits exist, and ascribe significance to the fact, whether a symbol
is to the left or to the right of its next threshold. This is almost the
philosophy of particle physics.

Please do not misunderstand me: No one is advocating that we should use
Roman numerals in our calculations. The allegory is correct in the
suggestion to imagine different kinds of mightiness of symbols, consider
upper limits and take care to distinguish different sub-kinds of symbols,
standing left or right of a higher-level symbol (which small difference
would be, in the case of parentheses, e.g. whether they open or close).
Where we partly follow the allegory, is that one can establish a matrix of
relations /like IIII=IV, VV=X, etc./, where units can be translated into
each other. The sentence *n1 + n2 + n3 = n *leaves room for *n *to be
anything between *nmin *and* nmax. *The cuts remain invariant with respect
to the size of the collection. Some of the patterns that are created by the
cuts can be spatially realisable, some not. This is the point we discuss.
The proposition to use pairs of parentheses as symbols for cuts is but a
small technical detail. It may, however, simplify our efforts in an extent
which is comparable to the simplifications achieved by doing multiplication
in the Arabic notation, not in the Roman one. Today, we are figuring out
those complications which we have simplified away from, with the end goal
in sight, to be able to discuss the *diversity *property of assemblies. Who
knows, maybe processes of physiology are easier to calculate by using as
complicated rules as come by using Roman numerals. The algorithms one has
to learn help clarifying the underlying relations among concepts. (E.g.
‘)]’ = ‘}’ or *‘spatial distance can be hidden up to a point by
intensifying being different or by being less’, etc.).*

Information is the difference between expectation and realisation. We build
a system of references where being similar is contrasted to being
different. Similar we measure using *N. *For measuring being different
(=diversity), we have to develop a suitable metric. Pairs of parentheses
appear to be useful as symbols to register group structures in the
assembly. Using cuts as description of the state of a collection can be
helpful in getting an exact and solid, congruent picture of which spatial
constellations are possible and which not, and within the possible, which
are quasi-bijective: that would be the DNA. This is how cuts fit in into
the general idea of a hunt for information as a stable, numeric concept,
with us since the beginning of time in objective reality, and with us since
FIS intellectually.

Thank you again for your attention to detail.

Best wishes:

Karl