[Fis] A rational definition of information

Louis Kauffman loukau at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 07:19:18 CET 2020

Dear Folks,
It may help to recall two modes of mathematical definition.
In Euclid we find definitions in the form:
Def. 1.1. A point is that which has no part.
Def. 1.2. A line is a breadthless length.
Def. 1.3. The extremities of lines are points.
Def. 1.4. A straight line lies equally with respect to the points on itself.

In present day mathematics we find definitions such as
A group G is a set equipped with a binary operation that is associative and has an identity and inverses.
Any set satisfying these requirements is a group.

To one who already knows some geometric ideas, Euclid’s definitions are quite informative of his point of view about the idealization of experience that is the geometry.
From the modern point of view Euclid’s definitions are not regarded as definitions at all, but rather as motivating statements. All of Euclid’s terms point, line, etc are seen as “undefined terms” whose relations are
the only subject matter of the geometry. This abstract point of view is different from the way the Greeks thought about geometry, but once you have the idea of geometry, the abstract point of view is useful for keeping track of the logic of things. Also, all mathematical consequences in modern geometry are just logical tautologies based on the axioms. It is all seen in a context of emptiness of everything but the given relations such as “two distinct points determine a line” and logical consequences. All the “information” in the geometry is contained in its axioms, but must be unfolded by logical discourse (the proofs) in order to be seen, or comprehended.

There is genuine information in the geometry nevertheless. For example, the Pythagorean Theorem tells us something about right triangles that we would not see directly just looking at the axioms for the geometry, or empirically by examining right triangles. The theorem gives us understanding that the Theorem will hold for any right triangle and this is information of a high order.

I point this out to reinforce Mark’s statement that
"Defining is a process of seeking abstract principles which are generative not only of phenomena themselves, but of our narrative capacities for explaining them and our empirical faculties for exploring them.”
I suspect that he is thinking about mathematics when he makes this statement.

Nevertheless, we find something different in the empirical domain.
We do not demand that our abstract principles generate the phenomena there.
In fact we find that concept and percept arise together in the examination of phenomena
and that it is in this arising, with the help of thinking and the fundamental circularity of thought knowing thought,
that we come to agree that information is present.
Very best,
Lou Kauffman