[Fis] [External Email] Re: defining information

Loet Leydesdorff loet at leydesdorff.net
Fri Mar 6 12:23:54 CET 2020

>Take away the agent, information does not exist, has no reason of
>being.
>And the reason of being of information is its meaning for the agent.
>Information exists only by its meaning for the agent which uses it to
>satisfy its constraints.
Indeed, information does not "exist"; nevertheless one can specify an
expected information value. The inference that information exists as
meaning is unwarranted, in my opinion.  One can perhaps find there a
footprint of the information.  Information remains res cogitans.

Weaver (1949, p. 8):
"The word information, in this (that is, Shannon's) theory, is used in a
special sense that must not be confused with its ordinary usage. In
particular, information must not be confused with meaning."

Best,
Loet