[Fis] Cultural Acceleration?

Jaime Cardenas-Garcia jfcardenasgarcia at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 17:05:16 CEST 2020

Dear All,

An excellent book by César A. Hidalgo titled *Why Information Grows: The
Evolution of Order, from Atoms to Economies* encapsulates the process of
info-autopoiesis. The following is a synopsis of the book:

What is economic growth? And why, historically, has it occurred in only a
few places? Previous efforts to answer these questions have focused on
institutions, geography, finances, and psychology. But according to MIT's
anti disciplinarian César Hidalgo, understanding the nature of economic
growth demands transcending the social sciences and including the natural
sciences of information, networks, and complexity. To understand the growth
of economies, Hidalgo argues, we first need to understand the growth of
order.

At first glance, the universe seems hostile to order. Thermodynamics
dictates that over time, order-or information-disappears. Whispers vanish
in the wind just like the beauty of swirling cigarette smoke collapses into
disorderly clouds. But thermodynamics also has loopholes that promote the
growth of information in pockets. Although cities are all pockets where
information grows, they are not all the same. For every Silicon Valley,
Tokyo, and Paris, there are dozens of places with economies that accomplish
little more than pulling rocks out of the ground. So, why does the US
economy outstrip Brazil's, and Brazil's that of Chad? Why did the
technology corridor along Boston's Route 128 languish while Silicon Valley
blossomed? In each case, the key is how people, firms, and the networks
they form make use of information.

Seen from Hidalgo's vantage, economies become distributed computers, made
of networks of people, and the problem of economic development becomes the
problem of making these computers more powerful. By uncovering the
mechanisms that enable the growth of information in nature and society, Why
Information Grows lays bare the origins of physical order and economic
growth. Situated at the nexus of information theory, physics, sociology,
and economics, this book propounds a new theory of how economies can do not
just more things, but more interesting things.

I highly recommend it.

Kind regards,

Jaime

Jaime F. Cárdenas-García, PhD, PE