[Fis] Cultural Acceleration?

Pedro C. Marijuan pcmarijuan.iacs at aragon.es
Thu Jun 4 11:33:24 CEST 2020

Dear FIS Friends,

Jorge Navarro and me have just published a paper entitled "SOCIOTYPE AND
CULTURAL EVOLUTION : The acceleration of cultural change alongside
industrial revolutions"

The link is this: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biosystems.2020.104170

And the Abstract is below.

It contains a series of hypothesis that can be useful for our
discussions. I will post some of them in next days. Also Howard Bloom
has published in the same Special Issue of BioSystems (Evolutionary
Dynamics of Social Systems) a very intriguing essay on "biopolitics",
about the bacterial roots of the new autocracies. More will follow...

/*Abstract: *The present work explores, from the vantage point of the
sociotype, the dramatic acceleration of cultural change alongside the
successive industrial revolutions, particularly in the ongoing
information//era. //Developed within the
//genotype-phenotype-sociotype////conceptual triad, the sociotype//means
the average social environment that is adaptively demanded by the
“social brain” of each individual.//For there is a regularity of social
interaction, centered on social bonding and talking time, which has been
developed as an adaptive trait, evolutionarily rooted, related to the
substantial size increase of human groups. A quantitative approach to
the sociotype basic traits shows fundamental competitive
interrelationships taking place within an overall “attention economy.”
Approaching these figures via the Planckian Distribution Equation, they
can be connected with many other competitive processes taking place in
the biological, economic, and cultural realms. Concerning culture, the
cognitive limits of the individual, which we consider commensurate with
the sociotype general limitations, impose by themselves a strict
boundary on the cultural items effectively handled by each individual,
fostering the overall competition and decay. Further, the emergence of
differentiated generations with ample discrepancy in styles of life,
social aspirations, and dominant technologies would represent a
systematic bias in the competition and replacement of cultural items.
Intriguingly, the cultural acceleration detected in modern societies
alongside the successive industrial revolutions, with an ostensible
climax in the ongoing fourth industrial revolution –the information era–
might be itself a paradoxical consequence of the sociotype’s dynamic
constancy./

  Best regards--Pedro

Pedro C. Marijuán

pcmarijuan.iacs at aragon.es