[Fis] 10 Principles

Marcus Abundis 55mrcs at gmail.com
Sat Jul 25 09:16:15 CEST 2020

Hi Pedro – in response to your last post . . .

ADAPTIVE LOGIC: I think we view adaptive logic similarly. But I also look
at lower-levels than what you name (living cells and above). I include all
genomic roles (viruses, and others?, *perhaps* even as low as prions?,
unsure). I also include prior ‘agency attempts’ (if any), before current
genomic roles. The lower end of this adaptive spectrum is vague for me,
until a definitive theory of biology/Life is concluded – for as we both
know, Life is plainly adaptive. On higher-order adaptation, (social
entities, etc.) I do not set a hard limit, but I look at behaviors,
collected and individual.

VARIETY IN FIS VIEWS: It is odd for you to point to Karl’s compiled list as
being diverse, where he suggests broad agreement in those views as
‘restricted to biological processes’ – which I plainly do not agree with. I
am unsure of Karl’s grasp of broader informatic issues. Thus, I do not see
his compiled list as truly representative, balanced, or authoritative.

COMPUTER COMPOSITIONAL ELEMENTS: I am unsure of how to respond to this part
of your note. My prior note raises adaptation, where there is ‘something to
which one adapts’ (Primary), and ‘something that must do the adapting’
(Secondary). I was interested in your specific view on primary and
secondary roles. Instead you offer a discourse on computer technology and
beyond?
– Further to YiXin’s 5 & 8 March posts a focused effort on *methodology*
seems essential to progress (which I strongly agree with), where ontology
and epistemology and subject and object roles are useful generic organizing
principles (even if I disagree with how he applies them).
– Similarly, further to Krassimir’s 28 June post I too see that one must
start with a sense of primary and secondary roles *at least* as there are
myriad ‘levels of abstraction’ one must ultimately deal with. Still, I see
these roles as complementary rather than opposed (per Krassimir).
– When I read your ‘enslaved SiO2’ view, I am unsure of your intent, but it
looks like you argue that ‘animate enslavement’ of ‘in-animate SiO2’ is a
case where the animate is Primary and the in-animate is secondary. I
instead suggest this exemplifies a Third informatic level – that of ‘tool
use’ to enhance an agent's adaptive ability. Tool use (added with earlier
roles) points to Terry’s intrinsic, referential, and normalized roles where
tools are normalized/optimized. This also echoes my own three-step direct,
discrete, and diffuse informational roles. Perhaps I am reading your note
incorrectly, but this is what I take as your meaning. As such, your views
on primary and secondary roles remains unclear to me.

WORK IN PROGRESS: I look forward to seeing more clarifying notes on your
ideas of a formal informatic methodology.

Marcus