[Fis] June 2020 Posts

Loet Leydesdorff loet at leydesdorff.net
Sun Jul 5 18:16:19 CEST 2020

Dear Michel,

Any residual with an absolute value which is equal to or greater than
the tabled critical two-tailed .05 value z 05 = 1.96 is significant at
the .05 level. Any residual which is equal to or greater than the tabled
critical two-tailed .01 z 01 = 2.58 is significant at the .01 level. Any
cell in a contingency table that has a significant residual makes a
significant contribution to the obtained chi-square value. For any cell
whit a significant residual, one can conclude that the observed
frequency of the cell differs significantly from its expected frequency.
The sign of the standardized residual indicates whether the observed
frequency of the cell is above (+) or below (-) the expected frequency.
The sum of the squared residuals for all r x c cells will equal the
obtained value of chi-square.

Sheskin, D. J. (2011). Handbook of Parametric and Nonparametric
Statistical Procedures (5th Edition). Boca Raton, FL: Chapman &
Hall/CRC. p. 672.

>I doubt that the square root of (observed - expected) makes sense: is
>the quantity inside parentheses always non-negative?
The sign is meaningful: above or below expectation?

>May be you meant a chi-2 test on a 2x2 contingency table
>http://www.stat.yale.edu/Courses/1997-98/101/chisq.htm

You are right: the formulas were not correctly typed. However, the
computation and interpretation was correct.
The mail should have been without these typos: