[Fis] 10 Principles

Pedro C. Marijuan pcmarijuan.iacs at aragon.es
Thu Jul 2 21:39:33 CEST 2020

Dear List,

I am following with interest the ongoing exchanges related (at least
initially) to the 10 Principles. I my view, there is a fundamental
problem, difficult to expostulate, that somehow lurks in most of these
messages taken from different generalizing perspectives: the Shannonian,
the cognitive, the data processing, the art.intelligence, the
panbiological, the pansemiotic, dynamic systems, etc.

In my own approach 3 years ago, I purposely left that basic problem
almost untouched and started by a tautology (Wiener's dictum), although
the problem partially reappeared behind other points (basically 4 and 5,
and also 8). My unresolved hunch contemplated a central element –the
life cycle, from the cellular to the biographic– having the potential to
organize the new scientific discourse on information and nucleating the
new mode of thought, appearing as the fundamental source/sink,
emitter/receptor, and essential organizer of the informational way of
being in the world, the only creator of "meaning" and "knowledge". But
time has passed and I have not been able to decently cohere the info
scheme of the cell with the neural processing evolutionary
functionality, the individual human inquirer's limitations, and the
thought collective within a culture. The info day-to-day that our
organisms spontaneously live in!

OK, I admit the problem may not be very well put... In my opinion,
advancing in the resolution of this presumed informational conundrum
brings to the fore fundamental philosophical discussions—disentangling
them concerns stances from both information science and information
philosophy, I think.

In any case, if I am right about the persistence of that unsolved stuff,
there is always a consensus option: to agree in some bridging principles
or fundamentals, even if they are not so tight-sound (it happens in the
beginnings of many new disciplines--some parties may remember I
advocated years ago for an ad hoc face-to-face meeting only about these
problems). Or we can continue waiting for the synthetic effort of
individuals within/outside this thought collective to find out an
acceptable meta-perspective... And if I am wrong, and one of the
generalized perspectives above has muscle to bring sufficient solution,
then it will finally prevail and as usual "the winner takes all". Time
will tell. I am inclined towards the consensus option.

Best wishes

--Pedro

Pedro C. Marijuán

pcmarijuan.iacs at aragon.es