[Fis] misinformation, a lecture

Pedro C. Marijuan pcmarijuan.iacs at aragon.es
Wed Jan 15 20:44:09 CET 2020

Dear FISers,

Thanks Terry. You are quite right about the chilling dimensions of the
problem. The struggles for power have always corrupted human
communication, from face to face outright lies, to falsification of
written messages. Even Julius Caesar had to encrypt his military and
political messages. The printing press generated soon a wave of
pamphlets and libels that were very difficult to counteract. Classical
journalism could partially overcome that problem by means of competition
and reputation, plus severe laws arbitrating the defamation attempts.
Somehow the social countenance of defamation/disinformation has been
partially working; but nowadays the new technologies have left obsolete
that classical countenance. I remember in early 1980s a booklet by
Michael Arbib stating the great improvements in grass-roots democracy
and communication that the nascent computer world could generate: direct
democracy, voting every afternoon, fantastic collective management... I
could hardly swallow that very sweet candy, but kept in mind the
capacity for self-delusion of the new technology. Anyhow, two main
alternatives can be seen today: centralized censorship (as already
practiced in some countries) versus complete lack of control and
overwhelming disinformation. Paradoxically, the advancement of "deep
fake" tools, as described in Barstow's talk, may bring the future
discredit of those info sources that lack sufficient
authentication--like spam in mail systems. In my view, the quest for
technological tools that bring "reinforcements to truth" is important
and necessary, although it looks difficult in so fastly evolving
systems. In the meantime, I think, the information pillars to be trusted
are the remains of the traditional media ecosystem, with all its
limitations and biases...
A role for IS4SI? I think so. Maybe we can promote a stable "reflection
group" or special working group and see what kind of theoretical/applied
contributions are we able to make.

Best--Pedro

Pedro C. Marijuán

pcmarijuan.iacs at aragon.es