[Fis] Misinformation. 1. A Role for FIS 2. Terry's Strategy

Mark Johnson johnsonmwj1 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 11 17:26:47 CET 2020

Dear all

I have always been an AI sceptic. However, recently I found myself involved
in a medical diagnostic project using convolutional neural networks to
automatically diagnose diabetic retinopathy. (In fact we are getting the
machine to rank images in severity, rather than simply classify them)

Convolutional neural networks represent a particular strategy to process
image data in a way which is fractal oriented, using convolution processes
derived from DSP. If you want to see it in action, look here:
https://cs.stanford.edu/people/karpathy/convnetjs/demo/mnist.html

It's been remarkably successful at predicting the likely categories of data
it hasn't seen before (a key feature of machine learning), after being
programmed with redundancy of images (All this stuff works with
redundancy). The Visual Geometry Group in Oxford created a particular model
architecture called VGG16 which has been trained with thousands of images
from the internet. When you play with it, it's a bit spooky - not just for
what it gets rights, but how it gets things wrong in a way where we can say
"I can see how it thinks that"

The tricky point is that nobody knows why it works. There are various
theories.

A more profound question is that if we think machine learning might help us
in our pursuit of truth, with what theory do we ground that claim? What
insight into the operation of machine learning might ground an insight into
information and disinformation?

Best wishes

Mark