[Fis] [External Email] Re: Brenner 2020 New Year Lecture

Karl Javorszky karl.javorszky at gmail.com
Mon Jan 6 09:56:24 CET 2020

Disinformation
            (20200105)

Thank you, Joseph, for this overture of a symposium on intentionally
misleading messages.

1. Discussion of connotations of some points in the lecture

*a single ‘clear’ definition [of information] is neither possible nor
desirable, *

If we agree what we mean by using the term, our agreement defines the term.
Whether the content of what we shall agree on, will turn out to be an
algorithm, that is: a Sachverhalt, or it will turn out to be an idea of the
category of witchcraft and phlogiston, is what we currently analyse. If
nothing else, scientific and private curiosity makes it desirable to know,
whether we shall have chased a *fata morgana* or whether we shall have
uncovered, recognised, understood a basic attribute of Nature.

*but even this meta-question has not resulted in a consensus.*

This is what we, FIS, are presently doing. We are the patriarchs who
decide. We are chewing this question since very long. We are searching for
a consensus. We have not yet reached a judgement.

*structural aspects of information *

The term structure has many meanings. Here, in FIS, it has been introduced
to mean the existence of more than one group memberships of members of
groups. We know that what we look for is the concurrent existence of
symbols on elements.

*relating information to absence … duality absence-presence *

This is again in full congruence to the definition of information, which,
for the time being, is: Let *x = ak* and *k **Î** {1,2,...,k,...,n}*. This
statement contains the information *k **Ï** {1,2,...,k-1,k+1,...,n}*.

*… what can we say about the structure of information that is new … last 9+
years?*

Modesty where there is no rational reason for modesty to take place has a
literature in psychology. Please read your own contributions in the FIS
chatroom. There are also some other contributions in that same archive,
which you might stumble upon, that discuss the structure of information.

*disinformation – disinforming - is an intentional process *

Good luck with that. In the trade, one does not use this word. Using the
term ‘intentional’ implicates that the speaker, the psychologist, does not
know that anyone, the proband, can be brought to acknowledging his, the
proband’s, inner participation in the creation of his, the proband’s, own
mental creations. They say anything in order to please you. Then again, one
can influence them to say that what one wants to hear, be it by sweets or
by waterboarding, or by telling them about angels and unicorns. It is like
a Heisenberg experiment. (It is only in your head. More to that later.)

*whose objective is to subvert information for criminal and/or selfish
purposes. *

The selfish purposes cause the subverted position of information, which
would have remained unsubverted, true to its original goals and principles,
if only the subject had remained true to its destiny and not had
degenerated into a selfish brute? Is this Rousseau? The writer implicates
the existence of an ideal state (ways, methods and contents of
communicating), and says that there are realisations, which deviate from an
ideal order among sentences to be said. (*<Such1> *has been said, which is
a deviation, relative to the ideal order, in which *<Such2> *would have
been said.)

*disinformation is a tool, a method of attempting domination by any means,
ipso facto immoral or unethical. *

As Bruno has expressed it, every study is basically a theological study. It
would be helpful, if the author could differentiate on the immorality
coming more from the goal or more from the tool. In studies relating to
biology, it is not usual to discuss ethical or moral issues while comparing
efficacity of strategies of survival and reproduction. Mimicry has many
forms.

(On the terminology: it appears to me, that in Hungarian and in German some
people do distinguish between *dIs*information and *dEs*information. The
former creates the wrong impression, that there is nothing remarkable to
notice against a background, the latter creates the wrong impression that
there is something different remarkable to notice against a background.
Disinformation is the keeping of secrecy (bringing the information
intensity close to Zero: ‘Greek warriors: 0’), desinformation is pretending
that a wooden horse is what to look at (creating a distraction, bringing
the information focus in areas far from ‘Greek warriors present?’). Not
smelling (fawns) and smelling differently (parasite wasps doing a cuckoo in
beehives). For both, excellent examples can be found in Wikipedia: mimicry.)

*Disinformation can come down to a very specific, at least partly
intentional process of ignoring easily available references … Other methods
include swamping of new results by overemphasis on classical sources of
only historical value.*

Would there be by any chance a possibility of finding a fine example of
this manoeuvre in the FIS chatroom? A historical example would point to
Gregor Mendel and his chatroom.

*in science, disinformation becomes roughly equivalent to fraud, the
dissemination of data not obtained by actual experiments. *

Maybe, a terminological distinction could be made between *disinformation*,
which means the suppression, non-dissemination of inconvenient data or
theories, and *desinformation, *which publishes falsified data.

*… false accusations … can become auto-catalytic *

Is this the same technique mentioned by Schopenhauer in Eristic Dialectic,
known as Propaganda or *hasbara*? The dialectic method is discussed by
Aristoteles, and manipulative, threatening signals, which should evoke in
the recipient shock and awe, are with us ever since we crawled out of the
sea, and probably even before. To induce hysteria (dysregulation) in the
recipient is a time-honoured way of winning an argument. The technique
obviously makes use of the existence of a frame of reference within the
recipient which the sender targets and eventually destabilises.

*… ethics of production and marketing of goods that are not vital to
existence. *

The nervous system demands input to process. We are optimised for
surroundings of Nature which is different from the surroundings we find
ourselves having gotten been born into. For *homo erectus, *the world was
much more menacing, full of signals which had yet to be learnt. Such of our
ancestors, who have learnt that remembered experiences and present
experiences can be compared, whether similar or different, and lessons
drawn from the mental impressions being similar, these have become the *homo
sapiens*. By natural selection, we have a *faible*, a soft spot, a bias for
the similar. Yet, the physiology behind neurology keeps producing nutrients
for dealing with the different, as if we still lived in a world where
everything is a discovery (like for animals and children). Physiology
appears to observe the rule, that the natural relation between *same ↔
different *exists. Joseph puts an ethical value on an observed fact, namely
that there exists an optimal range between: *same ↔ different *which people
keep wanting to be maintained. We as humans happen to need such things
which have no other *raison d’être *but being something different. In the
golden ages, the *aurea saecula, *there was much more excitement and
diversity, and no time for boredom and monotony*.* The more safe and secure
one is, the more entertainment he needs. (Otherwise, he becomes
domesticated: dumbs down.) We have managed, in Europe, the production and
distribution of the *panem, *and many, apparently the writer included, are
of the opinion that less of *circenses* would be a good idea to pursue, at
least as a goal. Whether the human nature is a profitable subject of a
debate in Ethics, is discussed very much in other fields, but not in
psychology. We do not discuss, how we wish humans to be. We try to
understand how they are (including ourselves, in brotherhood with
Heisenberg).

*… we … should report instances of disinformation to an organ in the
institution [**FIS] **that would insure its dissemination.*

There is no higher authority, civil, military, informal, imperial or
divine, on foundations of information science than this here chatroom.
Other people have even less idea about what the term information means. You
yourself are, for yours, together with all other participants, for theirs,
the ultimate arbiter on grammatical correctness, factual truth and ethical
value of the contributions published here. We are located in a model Vienna
coffee house here: people are entertaining, clever, diverse, and the form
of the exchanges is polite and collegial to friendly, just like it should
be. Your opinion is part of the opinion of the coffee house. If you think
that someone is side-lined for no good reason, go ahead and refer publicly
to his thoughts. Except for the rule of twice a week short or once a week
long, there is no restriction on who can say what here, if I understand
right.

2. Discussion of denotations of some points in the lecture

*Sender and receiver*

Thank you for introducing the subject (the acting persona) as a participant
in the mysterious kabuki theatre that appears to be information, and two of
them. You are, again, mountains ahead of me in the cartography of possible
meanings of the term of information. While I work out the engineering
specifications for sentences, you already use them and establish, that some
of them are false, used in a communicative process of exchange of messages.

*Non-traditional use of the term truth*

Tradition was to consider false statements to be grammatically false. You
point out – clothed in words of ethic -, that a formally, grammatically
correct sentence can be false, by referring to a state of the world which
is not the case.

We agree, that there is a state of the world and that there is a
description of the state of the world. Your point is, that there are
alternative perspectives to readings of the same state of the world,
creating alternatives of descriptions of the state of the world, and that
one cultural observation (your) is, that alternatives are preferred
(higher) while the preference (higher) denies a natural order (lower) to
those preferred, which, had not the bias been active, would not have been
preferred (remained lower). Perfectly agree.

Restating: there exists a class of sentences which are insofar false, as
they describe a state of the world, which is in a *state A*, a) only in
parts, or b) by using such symbols which lead to an assumption that a *state
non-A* is the case. Both suppressing and altering the flow of signals that
emanate from a sender are equally valuable strategies of survival.
(Not-signalling happens here by active extinction of signals.)

*Sender exploits Great Expectations in receiver*

Your invention of *two *issuers of statements about the world helps in the
didactic of understanding the idea of information. We distinguish sender
and receiver, both equally able and fit.

What is important for me in your chain of thoughts is, that both sender and
receiver agree in assuming that there is an expectation in the receiver.
The disinformation *frustrates* the receiver, the desinformation fulfils
his expectations, but *manipulates *the receiver. To be able to manipulate
the receiver, the sender has to be in possession of the algorithms, the
principles, that govern the expectations of the receiver. Such ability
indeed can be achieved by trial and error in the course of evolution. (The
predator learns, which way the prey will try to flee.) This finding of
yours would support the idea, that FIS, after having eventually reached its
goal, should finalise its deliberations and land with a concept of
information, namely that information is a Sachverhalt. The Sachverhalt is a
non-reducible logical fact: a relation among facts that can be described
fully. (The set of relations among lengths of sides of a triangle is a
Sachverhalt which can be described fully.) Existence of the description
stands for the existence of facts: the description itself becomes a fact
that can be communicated. We are able to teach trigonometry to our young.
The same Sachverhalt is brought into existence in the pupil’s head as was
imagined in the teacher’s head.  (If in the brain of the predator a map is
established in which the potential paths of the prey are distinct, which
actually agrees both to the objective map and the map in the brain of the
prey, then the map as an idea has an independent existence, irrespective of
wolf and deer.) No one needs to teach bees the idea of hexagons. The idea
behind its realisations has an independent existence, which is axiomatic in
Nature, in this understanding of communication. (The predator knows, which
laws of acoustic govern the perception of the prey.) In order to manipulate
someone by an intrigue, we must have an understanding of what this person
would bite eagerly on. The sender must share the expectations of the
receiver.

*You have a place in my heart*

Empathy means the ability to duplicate within oneself a system of
relationships among values which is dear for the person one is emphasising
with. We have a mirror image /in the ideal case/ of the strategies of the
target, working as an app in our own brain. (If I mislead someone, the
procedure is planned in my head: I consider, what would interest him the
best so that he goes away the evening I plan a party.) The inner
representation of the receiver in the brain of the sender is an introject
in the sender. The introject has a name and a literature in psychology.

*Inner consistency and secrets the subject keeps hidden from himself: a
revolution*

Pondering on, deliberating about and weighing pro and contra of what
different inner voices say is a key playground of philosophy. That the
possibility of an inner dialogue exists was traditionally rejected by
technical sciences, which used to declare such complexities to be a part of
the trivial arts.

Joseph’s opening statement confers legitimacy, what’s more: respectability!
to discussions about sentences that are not true, although they are
grammatically true. This is a revolutionary invention in the field of
classical logic. By choosing the style of his presentation, the author
studiously avoids any appearance of a revolutionary, quasi asking for a
friend, by speaking of intentionally misleading messages causing ethical
problems. He is too polite to cry out *J’accuse!;* he avoids embarrassing
anyone by not pointing his finger to the underlying scandal: that of the
existence of concurrently true, but in their combinations generating near
to contradictory implications, of concurrent descriptions of one and the
same state of the world.

*Do you hear voices?*

The dialogue between proponents of reading the world from differing
perspectives can be, for didactic reasons, presented as an exchange between
a sender and a receiver, inhabiting two different heads. In fact, the
dialogue can as well be conducted in one person’s head. We are playing
games with ourselves here, asking: what can I tell myself that would *{surprise
me, make me ashamed, better be left alone, merit better advertising, get
quickly boring, etc.}.* (One’s inner companion is one’s Sancho Pansa, or is
it the other way?) That, what can be said, can be said, irrespective of
(solo, duet or choir vocals) the number of narrators. The partiture of
Othello is *one *sequence, and the bits of the CD record of the opera
follow each other in a sequence, just like the letters of the telephone
directory or in the Iliad. Study of Spy & Spy by Prohias is great for
further elucidation on the subject of misinformation. If the receiver is as
able as the sender, he knows equally well what would mislead him. If the
same team designed adversaries A and B of a computer game, these could
hardly ever mislead each other. To be able to do so, differing variants of
decision strategies need to exist for A, B, A’s introject in B, B’s
introject in A, so that they can begin plotting. If the adversaries – and
with them, their introjects – undergo differing experiences in their
histories which they can remember, before they meet, then the dramaturgy of
the interaction Joseph has drawn would be indeed playable. Joseph’s
approach can well open the door to a new understanding of artificial
intelligence, based on differing experiences of the participating systems.

*Summary*

The grammatical rules of the dialogue – the fact that it is possible to
conduct an inner dialogue – appear to put forward the idea that information
is a corollary of cyclic properties of permutations of structured sets,
therefore an algorithm, a Sachverhalt. Equally supportive of the general
idea, that information is a property of an algorithm, is the fact that prey
and predator are in agreement about some principles of spatial geometry.
Animals having adapted across species to *Principle Q*, it is reasonable to
assume that *Principle Q* exists in Nature. Congruent fundamental
assumptions are shared by the author of the lecture, who introduces the
subject by discussing that sender employs a (specific: misleading) variant
of *Principle Z*, of which sender is certain that it is present in, and
that it influences the receiver (that *Principle Z* is at work in receiver
and will handle this specific variant like if it was not misleading). This
is a milestone.