[Fis] On disinformation

Karl Javorszky karl.javorszky at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 17:13:20 CET 2020

Dear Colleagues,

Some say, 2020 can’t be over soon enough. We may agree that we are indeed
living in interesting times. There are several reorganising processes at
work, coping with climate, energy, pandemic, economic, strategic crises all
happening in a supreme interaction. One can compare this phase with the
metamorphosis insects undergo during pupating. Wolfgang shows optimism by
suggesting that there are governing principles – the anthropology of humans
– that guide us towards a new form of complex interdependencies. Loet
appears more sceptical on this point.

In whichever form we exit the chrysalis, we shall hardly be able to
maintain world views based on monotheistic beliefs. The subject of our
current discussion, disinformation, leads one to this insight.

If disinformation is possible, there must exist several variants of a
message relating to a state of the world, from among which the lying sender
picks one and transmits, causing thereby in the recipient a false picture
of what is the case in the world. At this point one leaves the orthodoxy
and enters uncharted waters, because the whole system depends on the axiom
that logical sentences describe the world as the world is. It is a
grammatical error to arrive at a false picture of the world, according to
the catechism in force.

The problem lies in the fact, that the unknown and the unrecognised do keep
existing, and they do create situations, in which grammatically correct
sentences state something that is not the case. Take, for instance: “It is
evening now”. The truth of this sentence will depend on the time of the day
it having been uttered. Periodic changes allow us to create a vision of the
world, in which it is grammatical to say logical sentences which do not
cover what is actually the case, albeit restricted by a temporal reference.

The temporal ordering principle which determines, which sentences are true
at what times, is but one of *several *ordering principles which together
determine our existence. Food being poisonous or healthy, water being
sufficient or scarce, the biosphere remaining permissive or turning
sterile: these influences are ordering principles. They are related to
seasonal changes no question, but they are sufficiently distinct among each
other to deserve to be called ordering principles or factors on their own
merits. Our metamorphosis changes us by causing us to leave behind the
dogmatic age. In a world of emerging multipolarism, heterocausal
explanations and interlinked systems, where even multiple processors in
computers vie routinely for influence, in such a world no basic explanation
of the world by One, unipolar perspective can remain.

If we had a commonly agreed on reference table of words, corresponding to
mental images within the participants of a discussion, like we presently
have the system of natural numbers, we could find universal language to
transport ideas with. Such an invention is ready and at hand: interested
Learned Friends need only to invest a few days of a senior student’s work
and they can contemplate about which basic worldview-changes are coming
their way if they learn to count *a+b=c *with just a few hours of inner
interest. They used to say: “Well, it is true that no one speaks Latin
today, but having learnt Latin works marvels to understand how logic works,
what logic is, generally.” Similarly, one may not see the immediate need
for a social scientist, a microbiologist or a mathematician to look into
movement patterns of variants of *a+b=c*, but it helps immensely to have a
solid grasp of the terms order, hierarchy, coexistence, priority,
predictability and such, in whatever fields of academia one is practicing.
That Mendel was not an outstanding social success with his numbers is due
to the fact that numbers do not sell well. However, the examples of Galilei
and Huyghens give one courage: one can invite Learned Friends to look
through a newly constructed complicated device and perceive there something
quite interesting. In the present case, one may promise little green
Ordering Principles being at work.

In case we come to a rational insight about the Interaction of Ordering
Principles, the underlying, fundamental system of beliefs will be familiar
to followers of polytheistic or animalistic – naturalistic religions, but
will be considered heretical by followers of the Abrahamitic religions. The
existence of secondary or tertiary readings of the same state of the world
runs contrary to the concept of the symbol system being subject to One
ordering principle. (In short: if you want to understand theoretical
genetics, you must first convert to Hinduism or become a willing subject of
Zeus.)

Best to all,

Karl