[Fis] Fis Digest, Vol 61, Issue 9 (Please, be more realistic)

Bruno Marchal marchal at ulb.ac.be
Sun Oct 6 09:06:40 CEST 2019

> On 5 Oct 2019, at 14:02, Michel Petitjean <petitjean.chiral en gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Dear All,
> We receive "information" from family, teachers, TV, journals,
> internet, preachers, and so on.
> I am ready to discuss about information in the context of religious
> beliefs and other beliefs, and I am ok to hear about information in
> such contexts on the FIS forum.
> The contrast is considerable between the FIS forum and what is stated
> by many Churches: "no doubt about what is taught: divin laws apply;
> doubting is a sin" (doubting deserves blame, and sometimes death, as
> say some fanatics).
> It was true along the past centuries, and alas it is still true now at
> many places.
> Older are the "fake news", more people believe in them.
> Many people doubt about the validity of the content of recent books,
> but, for older books such that holy scriptures, it is amazing to see
> that so few people doubt about the validity of their content: their
> content IS true.
> Well, I forget that there are several contents and that the hundred of
> millions of believers disagree between themselves.
> At least many millions of believers should be wrong, if not all :)
> Are my words shocking?
> If yes, apologies.
> It is ok to discuss information in scientific contexts (include social
> sciences, humanities, etc.), but if you prefer to discuss about
> information from a religious point of view, it is ok, too.
> You may decide.
> Sincerely,
> Michel.

Interesting. In the mathematical theology of the universal machine (in the arithmetical sense of Kleene, Turing, Church, Gödel) we have that doubting is not a sin, but asserting any public ontological certainty is a sin. Machine already warns us that “theology” contains a trap, making people inverting the “divine experience”, which remains and has to remain private and never publicly asserted. Some type of information only go without saying, and lead to their contrary when said. A bit like already with Gödel’s second incompleteness theorem:

[]<>t -> ~<>t.    (Proving my consistency entails my inconsistency)

I can argue that the biggest sin is when theology has been separated from science, allowing the use of argument per authority in the domain. The god/non-god debate made us forget that the original debate was about the fundamental existence of the physical universe.

I work on the machine theology since 35 years, and I predict most of the core of quantum physics from it (theology, in the original sense of Plato) contains physics as a subbranch, and so is testable, and rather confirmed by contemporary physics. I found nature indeterminacy, non cloning of physical information, and apparent non-locality, and many-worlds, from arithmetic and mechanism a longtime before I saw that the physicists were already there. My work has been judged problematic for many philosopher for whom weak materialism is a dogma. (No problem with scientists, though).

This means I am very open to your suggestion to not avoid religion in the information science. For me, the real dividing line is in between Plato and Aristotle. That debate is systematically forbid by institutionalised weakly-materialist religion (weak materialism is the belief in a physically irreducible physical reality).

Bruno