[Fis] A Landauer Conundrum, was Re: The Limits

Joseph Brenner joe.brenner at bluewin.ch
Mon Mar 11 16:56:03 CET 2019

Dear Pedro,

Your note contains three distinct points, of which the second seems most significant:

1. I need to understand better your underlined sentence. I learned, I think, that real events, processes, etc. follow laws. However, laws are abstract epistemic entities invented to describe the observed regularities in nature. Their only reality is the energy required to think about them, not that they possess. The expression “how laws of nature occupy space-time and interact…” is inoperative.

2. The term ‘information’ on the other hand refers to the behavior or evolution of the energetic processes of thought as well as other real, ontological phenomena. Wu Kun’s metaphilosophy of information is a highly developed ‘informational vision’ which includes, without conflation, an informational-scientific or ‘physicalist’ vision. An example of this approach is Wu’s identification of the ‘informosome’, the integral, imaginable if not isolatable, of all the experiences of an individual, past, present and probable, the latter as potentialities.

3. Jerry has correctly stated the informational aspects of the H2 +O 2   =  2H2O reaction, but what do you mean by saying its activation energy barrier is “terribly low”? If one mixes hydrogen and oxygen, nothing happens. A source of energy is needed, a spark, or a catalytic surface for the activation energy barrier to be overcome. Obviously, you meant molecules not atoms; two reactant molecules yield two product molecules, with the same total number of atoms. Put enough energy into water, say by electrolysis, and the reaction goes in the opposite direction. I thus agree with you that the system is completely classical, but it is not necessary to invoke a bath of ‘thermalizing photons’.

Perhaps a restatement of the Landauer Conundrum would be useful.

Best wishes,

Joseph

  _____