[Fis] New Perspectives. Reply to Bruno's Reply to Stan

Loet Leydesdorff loet at leydesdorff.net
Fri Jun 14 11:06:26 CEST 2019

Dear Lars-Goran and colleagues,

>Since I consider myself as a natural philosopher, or in modern terms,
>philosopher of science, I want to protest against the last statement
>Loet made, viz., that natural philosophy is based on ’data’ and that
>data is to be identified what that what is given to us from nature.
I did not say so; but I pointed to the basis of natural philosophy in a
religion (Christianity, Protestantism) in which one assumes that nature
is given to us as "data" in a Revelation. The data is not given by
nature, but in Nature. We can read the book of Nature (Galilei).

>The basis from our thinking about nature is observation sentences which
>people agree upon, no matter what cultural, scientific or religious
>beliefs they have.
This seems pre-Popper to me.

>The empirical basis of objective science has thus nothing 'absolute'
>about it.' Science does not rest upon solid bedrock. The bold structure
>of its theories rises, as it were, above a swamp. It is like a building
>erected on piles. The piles are driven down from above into the
>swamp, but not down to any natural or 'given' base; and if we stop
>driving the piles deeper, it is not because we have reached firm
>ground. We simply stop when we are satisfied that the piles are firm
>enough to carry the structure, at least for the time being.

The Logic of Scientific Discovery, [1935] , 1959, p. 111.

Most of us, including myself, consider themselves as even more
constructivist than Popper after having read Kuhn.

>Furthermore I accept the basic tenet of Kant’s epistemology, viz., that
>object in the natural world are our constructions; they result from our
>  judgements (in modern terms, agreed observation sentences). Many
>people think that this view leads to an unacceptable subjectivism, but
>it does not, since the basis consists of sentences which we jointly
>assent too. So nothing is given to us.

In my opinion, this is a religious issue. Some of us may beleive that
the world is given in a revelation. Thus, the reason "why nothing is
given to us" may be different between us.

Best,
Loet