[Fis] New Perspectives. Reply to Bruno's Reply to Stan

Gordana Dodig-Crnkovic gordana.dodig-crnkovic at mdh.se
Fri Jun 14 06:45:17 CEST 2019

Dear Bruno,
I have a few questions to your answers and would be happy if you can help me to understand.
Here they come, following formulations from your mail.

“This seems to assume some primary natural reality, isn’t it?”

Q: What is meant by “primary natural reality”?

1. If it refers to the EXISTENCE OF THE EXTERNAL/INTERNAL NATURAL WORLD, I think this is the most reasonable hypothesis to start with:
The world/nature EXISTS. It is the fundamental assumption of all sciences which are our best present knowledge about the world.
Otherwise, if the world does not EXIST, we can conclude any discussion about it.

2. The other question is HOW that EXISTENCE of the world outside/inside cognitive agents presents itself or unfolds in an agent in the interaction with the world.
That is the question of UMWELT, and the construction of knowledge through information processing. (Natural information processing = natural computation.)
The “primary natural reality” reflects itself in a myriad of local “realities” in cognizing agents. As we know from empirical observations, even though existence of the world induces various information processes in various agents, communities of agents are typically sharing common “languages” about that “primary natural reality”.
That is true for bacterial as well as for human communities. Languages reflect our ability to collectively navigate “primary natural reality” and share common references. So much so that we are able to commonly build a new semantic layer, that is human culture, upon that “primary natural reality”.

“As I have shown, this requires a non computationalist theory of mind, which seems to me to be highly speculative.”
Q: Why would that follow from the EXISTENCE of the world? What kind of phenomenon is that “computation” which minds perform? Is it the Turing model of discrete sequential symbol manipulation – calculation of mathematical function? It may at best describe linguistic part of the mind. But mind as a natural process is both data-based (even continuous data) and symbol based. Not Turing computable in it entirety, but “naturally computable” i.e. the result of natural information processing performed by living embodied minds.

“I am not sure we can avoid the mind-body problem in a philosophy of information context.”
Q: Why? Natural information processes in living organisms seem to me as the best way to bridge the mind-body chasm. Mind is a result of a complex network of networks of information processes going on in a cognizing agent. That process is implemented in their bodies as a material substrate that is self-organized structure growth from that “primary natural reality”. There is no contradiction between the morphology (shape, structure, material) of an organism and its functions (processes performed by that morphology. At least those organisms who have nervous systems capable of representing their bodies and their relationships to their environments can be seen as possessing intrinsic “self-models” or simply having “self” or “mind”. That “mind” is the result of the relationships of its subsystems that constitute that “self”, that process which for an organism makes a distinction between the “self” vs. the world and the relationships between the two.
Mind is a process, matter is its substrate on which the process is going on. Those are inseparable in a living organism. In-formation has it roots in the concept of formation (of a material substrate). Matter and form are two aspects of the same reality. It is not a problem, it is a way how we conceptualize the world, in order to manage its complexity.

“There are no evidences for physicalism or for a physical primary reality, nor are there evidences for a non computationalist theory of mind.”

Q: What is meant with “physicalism” here?
Wikipedia offers two different definitions, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physicalism according to which
Physicalism is the metaphysical<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metaphysical> thesis assuming that
a) "everything is physical", that there is "nothing over and above" the physical,[1]<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physicalism#cite_note-1> or
b) that everything supervenes<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supervenience> on the physical.[2]<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physicalism#cite_note-DStoljar-2>

Those are two very different proposals. The first one is obviously false, as it negates all the emergent levels of organization of the world above physics.
The second one depends on what is meant by “supervenience”. If it means that higher levels of organization of matter-energy emerge from the lower ones bringing completely new properties, it is in perfect agreement with what sciences today say about the world and how they model the world.*
Molecules are made of atoms but bring completely new possibilities of structures, processes and interactions. Biology is more than chemistry for the same reason.

Q: What would be “a physical primary reality”?
Am I wrong if I imagine that I cannot go out of this room through its walls? Does not that mean that there is “a physical primary reality” that stops me from doing so, no matter how much I wish and try?

“Of course some people confuse the evidences for physical laws with evidences that such laws are primary, but that is just because they “believe” in some natural world to begin with.”
Q: What is primary? Indeed, physical laws are not primary, in the sense of eternal and unchangeable, as they evolve with the universe*. Primary is the EXISTENCE of the world that we all share and experience. It presents itself in both fluid, intrinsic ways (subjective feelings and emotions) and crisp, well defined inter-subjective forms (as in sciences, logics, mathematics).

“We can’t have both Mechanism in cognitive science, and materialism, or just physicalism, in the “natural science”. That has been shown logically inconsistent.”
It depends on the choice of “mechanism”, “cognitive science” (classical-computationalist disembodied or contemporary EEEE models of cognition), along with the kind of “physicalism” assumed, and even the choice of “natural sciences” to support your thesis. In the paper below (*) I argue, for a given choice of all those terms and with heavy reliance on the contemporary scientific knowledge, that computational mind is not only (naturally) compatible but essentially dependent on its physical substrate on succession of levels of organization.
Q: If we have such model in which “mechanisms” of information processing (natural computation in the framework of computing nature) from the lowest levels of exchanges between elementary particles to the highest levels of exchanges among people of symbolic structures and artifacts, wouldn’t that constitute a counter-example to the claim that mind and body have nothing to do with each other ? (**)

All the best,
Gordana

* http://www.gordana.se/work/PUBLICATIONS-files/2019-Laws%20of%20Science%20as%20Laws%20of%20Nature.pdf

** No model or framework can explain everything about the world (including humans) at the same time, but info-computational approach can be used to model some interesting aspects of the mind emergent from, in interaction with its matter/energy substrate.