[Fis] New Perspectives. Reply to Stan

Stanley N Salthe ssalthe at binghamton.edu
Thu Jun 13 16:36:40 CEST 2019

Joseph, replying on Natural Philosophy

JB: Natural Philosophy deals with the question of nature as a whole stated
by beings (ourselves) that find themselves in nature without having the
possibility of a holistic view, being ourselves in nature and not beyond
it.   S: SO, YOU INCLUDE HUMANS AS PART OF THE NATURE TO BE STUDIED. The
fact that we are able to ask this question means that we have some kind of
pre-knowledge about nature as a whole   S: THIS WOULD HAVE BERN DERIVED
FROM OUR CULTURE  while at the same time this pre-knowledge is problematic,
otherwise we would not ask the question and would not be able to become
natural philosophers. S: WHETHER PROBLEMATIC OR NOT, OR IN WHICH WAY, WOULD
DEPEND UPON OUR CULTURE

The question then changes to the difference between nature and reality as a
whole, including fictions, non-verifiable beliefs and intangible objects of
thought.  S: SO THIS FURTHER BRINGS IN  PARTICULARITIES OF THE CULTURE OF
THE NATURAL PHILOSOPHER. IN SOME CASES THAT CULTURE MAY NOT DIFFERENTIATE
REALITY FROM NATURE Since the idea that classical Natural Philosophy
evolved into  science  seems  correct,  we  are  left,  for  the  domain
of  Natural  Philosophy, with only a speculative interpretation of nature
viewed in its entirety.   S: OK     This interpretation is, *ipso facto*,
at a lower ontological level than the science which has largely replaced
it. S: IN WHAT SENSE LOWER? Much of the 20th Century linguistic turn,
expressed in both analytical and phenomenological and residual
transcendental traditions, is well visible in contemporary philosophy.S: I
SUPPOSE THIS MEANS THAT ‘IN THE END WILL BE THE WORD!.

IN MY OWN VIEW, I DO NOT EXPLICITLY INCLUDE CONSIDERATIONS OF HUMAN NATURE,
WHICH I HOLD TO BE IMPLICIT IN THE PHILOSOPHY OF NATURE BASED ON SCIENTIFIC
FINDINGS (ANTS OR BIRDS WOULD CREATE - IF THEY COULD - A DIFFERENT
UNDERSTANDING OF NATURE.

BRUNO -- REGARDING  We can’t have both Mechanism in cognitive science, and
materialism, or just physicalism, in the “natural science”. THIS DOES
IMPACT MY CHOICE NOT TO EXPLICITLY INCLUDE THE HUMAN CONSTRUCTION OF NATURE
IN MY VIEW OF NATURAL PHILOSOPHY BASED ON THE SCIENTIFIC ENTERPRISE SINCE
THAT COULD END UP IN A BLACK HOLE OF NEUROLOGY/PSYCHOLOGY.

STAN

STAN