[Fis] New Perspectives

Pedro C. Marijuan pcmarijuan.iacs at aragon.es
Tue Jun 11 13:05:24 CEST 2019

Dear FIS Colleagues,

A few days ago took place the IS4SI Meeting, in SFco, with one of the
parallel sessions devoted to FIS and other sessions also with presence
of veteran parties of this list. Relevant speakers in the plenary
sessions covered the main topic of the conference, expressed as: Where
is the I in Artificial Intelligence and the Meaning in Information? From
Tristan Harris to Melanie Mitchell, to Paul Verschure, etc.

In my view the perspectives in these IT fields are changing
significantly. The tremendous hype in AI, Deep Learning, IOT, etc. keeps
unabated, but critical voices are being heard, not just from a few
Academia corners as usual, but now by leading technologists and
researchers of big companies in these very fields. "Dissent" on the
contents, methodologies, and consequences of social applications is growing.

The industrial development of this IT sector --notwithstanding the
inflated proclamations and all the hype of the gurus-- does not mean the
arrival of some great singularity, or the symbiosis with machines, or
widespread menace of robots & cyborgs... these are slogans coming from
the industrialists to maintain social/ideological preeminence for their
whole sector. Rather I think they are starting to feel the consequences
of their social overstretching in different ways.

The fundamental point, in my opinion, is that our solitary, isolated
efforts from a few Academia places (Sciences & Humanities) in the quest
for new perspectives in Information Science, and not just AI
development, should not isolated any more. We can now establish an
interesting dialog and partnership with those new "dissenters" of the
technology in its concepts, methods, and social applications. It is upon
us to improve the discussion procedures, the collaborations, the
organization, etc. so that this opportunity might materialize
progressively. Do not ask me how... In any case I pointed out three
future directions for IS4SI advancement: community building, attracting
scientific/technological avantgarde, and organizational improvement.

Revitalizing this discussion list--shouldn't it be one of the first steps?

Best greetings to all,

--Pedro

Pedro C. Marijuán

pcmarijuan.iacs at aragon.es