[Fis] An Important Dialog

Loet Leydesdorff loet at leydesdorff.net
Sun Jan 20 08:17:20 CET 2019

Dear colleagues,

It sounds a bit as a continuation of the discussions among the
"scavants" at the Univerrsity of Coimbra about whether we live in the
best of all possible worlds; see Voltaire's Candide.

Did the snake talk to Eve or should we take this metaphorically? Does
GTI/Sinterclaus/God exist or not? In my opinion, one were advised to
proceed to empirical research. Some questions are then more fruitful
than others. Shannon's theory of information can, for example, be used
as entropy statistics. It thus offers to combine a theoretical
perspective and a methodology. Without developing the latter, however,
the discussion becomes very abstract and philosophical.

The linking pin, in my opinion, is the notion of probability. A
probability distribution contains an uncertainty which can be measured
in bits. A one-dimensional probability distribution can be represented
as a vector (or a set of relations); a two-dimensional as a matrix. The
second dimension can be used for the decomposition in terms of principal
components (eigenvectors). A three-dimensional probability
distribution--a cube of information--can contain local minima and
trajectories in an Euclidean space. A four-dimensional one represents a
hyper-geometry containing next-order regimes as structures of
(globalized instead of stabilized) expectations.

While instantiations can be described in three dimensions,
self-organization (autopoiesis, nisus) requires this extension to four
dimenisons of the probability distribution. The Shannon formula set no
limits on the number of dimensions and thus one obtains a rich
researchable domain. As some of you know, my interest nowadays is
particularly in the measurement and calculus of redundancy (new
options). But that is only one of the options for empirical research.

Best,
Loet

PS. Sinterklaas is a Dutch fest on the evening of December 5, when a
bishop arrives from Spain with presents for the children. Most children
lose their belief in his existence at the age of six or seven.  L.

Loet Leydesdorff

Professor emeritus, University of Amsterdam
Amsterdam School of Communication Research (ASCoR)

loet en leydesdorff.net <mailto:loet en leydesdorff.net>;
http://www.leydesdorff.net/
Associate Faculty, SPRU, <http://www.sussex.ac.uk/spru/>University of
Sussex;

Guest Professor Zhejiang Univ. <http://www.zju.edu.cn/english/>,