[Fis] The Limits

Stanley N Salthe ssalthe at binghamton.edu
Wed Feb 27 16:22:10 CET 2019

Here I reply to Pedro's challenge to arrange three well-known Principles
into a Subsumptive Hierarchy.

GODEL:  The first incompleteness theorem states that no consistent system
of axioms whose theorems can be listed by an effective procedure is capable
of proving all truths about the arithmetic of the natural numbers.

       SNS:  Logic. You need a more encompassing system to demonstrate
consistency of a system of axioms. This invites use of the subsumptive
hierarchy; {{ }}.

CHURCH-TURING:  Computation:  A function on the natural numbers is
computable by a human being following an algorithm if and only if it is
computable by a Turing machine.

        SNS: Mechanicism.

HEISENBERG:  Measurement.   The position and also the velocity of an object
cannot both be measured exactly, at the same time.

       SNS: Measurement is physical and disturbs the measured, changing it.

Thus, in the subsumptive hierarchy:

{ logic --> { mechanicism projected onto material world --> { contingency
in material world }}}

STAN