[Fis] PRINCIPLES OF IS

Pedro C. Marijuan pcmarijuan.iacs at aragon.es
Fri Sep 15 14:13:28 CEST 2017

Dear FIS Colleagues,

As promised herewith the "10 principles of information science". A
couple of previous comments may be in order.
First, what is in general the role of principles in science? I was
motivated by the unfinished work of philosopher Ortega y Gasset, "The
idea of principle in Leibniz and the evolution of deductive theory"
(posthumously published in 1958). Our tentative information science
seems to be very different from other sciences, rather multifarious in
appearance and concepts, and cavalierly moving from scale to scale. What
could be the specific role of principles herein? Rather than opening
homogeneous realms for conceptual development, these information
principles would appear as a sort of "portals" that connect with
essential topics of other disciplines in the different organization
layers, but at the same time they should try to be consistent with each
other and provide a coherent vision of the information world.
And second, about organizing the present discussion, I bet I was too
optimistic with the commentators scheme. In any case, for having a first
glance on the whole scheme, the opinions of philosophers would be very
interesting. In order to warm up the discussion, may I ask John Collier,
Joseph Brenner and Rafael Capurro to send some initial comments /
criticisms? Later on, if the commentators idea flies, Koichiro Matsuno
and Wolfgang Hofkirchner would be very valuable voices to put a
perspectival end to this info principles discussion (both attended the
Madrid bygone FIS 1994 conference)...
But this is FIS list, unpredictable in between the frozen states and the
chaotic states! So, everybody is invited to get ahead at his own, with
the only customary limitation of two messages per week.

Best wishes, have a good weekend --Pedro

*10 **PRINCIPLES OF INFORMATION SCIENCE*

1. Information is information, neither matter nor energy.

2. Information is comprehended into structures, patterns, messages, or
flows.

3. Information can be recognized, can be measured, and can be processed
(either computationally or non-computationally).

4. Information flows are essential organizers of life's self-production
processes--anticipating, shaping, and mixing up with the accompanying
energy flows.

5. Communication/information exchanges among adaptive life-cycles
underlie the complexity of biological organizations at all scales.

6. It is symbolic language what conveys the essential communication
exchanges of the human species--and constitutes the core of its "social
nature."

7. Human information may be systematically converted into efficient
knowledge, by following the "knowledge instinct" and further up by
applying rigorous methodologies.

8. Human cognitive limitations on knowledge accumulation are partially
overcome via the social organization of "knowledge ecologies."

9. Knowledge circulates and recombines socially, in a continuous
actualization that involves "creative destruction" of fields and
disciplines: the intellectual /Ars Magna./

10. Information science proposes a new, radical vision on the
information and knowledge flows that support individual lives, with
profound consequences for scientific-philosophical practice and for
social governance.

Pedro C. Marijuán
Avda. San Juan Bosco, 13, planta 0
50009 Zaragoza, Spain