[Fis] Locality & Five Momenta . . .

Mark johnson johnsonmwj1 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 17:58:40 CET 2015

Dear FIS colleagues,

I'm curious about why the discussion about momenta matters. Does it matter because we believe it is important to determine the boundaries of specific discourses? Does that matter because we fear incoherence or confusion in our discussion if we don't demarcate boundaries? And yet the determination of discourse boundaries throws in more complexity into the debate: The coherent discourse we might hope for runs away from us as we try to grasp it.

What assumptions are we making in asserting momenta? What might it preclude? It seems to me that a moment-orientation carries a philosophical realist undertone (I'm familiar with it from Bhaskar's critical realism - this looks similar to his dialectical MELDA formulation - difficult to get into but insightful) There is an assumption about observers, and there is an assumption about natural necessity - what speculative realists call 'correlationism'.

It seems that it matters more to academics than to ordinary people that deep ontological issues should be decided upon. Science, after all, depends on continual critical questioning about nature. Yet most sensible non-academic people might prefer to have a drink with friends than hurt their brains:  might they take a more pragmatic view that such matters of deep ontology are essentially undecidable? Or that their deep social (love) relationships really matter beyond everything else?

Before embarking on schematising momenta, perhaps it would be useful to think about what matters in this. Fundamentalism is an ever present risk for all academics. And additionally, information has a bearing on both matter and mattering after all...

Best wishes,

Mark