[Fis] Five Momenta

Pedro C. Marijuan pcmarijuan.iacs at aragon.es
Tue Oct 20 17:31:51 CEST 2015

Dear FISers,

to see how Steven solves his final posts (Benjamin Peirce is such an
unjustly forgotten figure, not to speak about his arch-famous son), let
me try some new "tangent" on the ongoing debate... I see but five
different and interrelated "momenta" that should be aligned for the
hypothetical advancement of the common info field.  The first one
corresponds to philosophy, as the critical playground where
dissatisfaction with the existing views should conduce to attempting
more congenial new ways of thinking. Unsolved problems of the sciences,
when they are general and affect several disciplines, easily generate
philosophical debate--which can be helpful to suggest new inroads.
Saying clearly "nope" to some philosophical and para-philosophical
schools is quite valuable although it easily generates irritation and
obfuscation in the concerned parties (that ingredient of "piquancy" also
enlivens the debates).

The second momentum would correspond to the biomolecular (primordials of
life and cellular organization). The third momentum would wrap around
the organismic and the neuronal (the evolutionary outcomes of
multicellular life up to advanced nervous systems). I think they are so
obvious that do not deserve further comment.

The fourth momentum involves the roots of human sociality, up to the
historical development of social complexity. And the fifth momentum
belongs to the contemporary revolution around communication,
information, etc. These two social momenta are being egregiously
forgotten in most of our debates (not any more with the planned
discussion sessions!)

Unfortunately, none of those momenta --even looking too far away--
should be left in the dark. Most of our discussions seem to deal with
the instrumental aspect, the math theories, constructs, and other
knowledge bodies that may help to characterize abstractly different
structures and dynamics where some classes of information seem to be
involved. It is not difficult to achieve some interesting results in
those theoretical and para-theoretical realms... but without connecting
with some of those big momenta, trying to ride on their impetus, it
won't be significant.

A new multidisciplinary itinerary is needed--neither the piece meal nor
the continuous entanglement would work to achieve it. Personally I find
that the goal is very difficult. Too many things in too very disperse
realms have to be cohered... So the allure of this crazy story!

All the best--Pedro

Pedro C. Marijuán
Avda. San Juan Bosco, 13, planta X
50009 Zaragoza, Spain