[Inageneral] Seminarios Dpto. FMC próxima semana: martes 11 de febrero

Raúl Mendoza rmendoza en unizar.es
Mie Feb 5 09:07:05 CET 2020

*Título: *Indirect Chiral Magnetic Exchange through
Dzyaloshinskii-Moriya–Enhanced RKKY Interactions

*Ponente: * Prof. Matthias Bode (University of Würzburg)

*Lugar: *Sala de Grados de la Facultad de Ciencias*

Fecha y hora: *martes 11 de febrero a las 12:30

*Resumen de la charla:* Localized electron spins can couple magnetically
via the Ruderman-Kittel-Kasuya-Yosida interaction even if their wave
functions lack direct overlap. Theory predicts that spin-orbit
scattering leads to a Dzyaloshinskii-Moriya type enhancement of this
indirect exchange interaction, giving rise to chiral exchange terms.
Recently, we performed a spin-polarized scanning tunneling microscopy
study of transition metal oxide chains on the (001) surfaces of Ir and
Pt. Our STM results confirm that the deposition of Co, Fe, Mn, and Cr on
the (2×1) oxygen-reconstructed Ir(001) surface leads to the formation of
quasi-one-dimensional chains with a (3×1) unit cell. In contrast,
preparation on Pt(001) required deposition onto the cold substrate with
subsequent annealing in an oxygen atmosphere. In particular, for MnO_2
chains we observed highly complex spin structures. Whereas we find an
almost antiferromagnetic Mn–Mn coupling along the chains, the
inter-chain coupling across the non-magnetic substrates turns out to be
chiral.  These magnetic structures observed for MnO_2 can be viewed as
highly anisotropic Skyrmions.

*Resumen CV: */Prof. Matthias Bode holds the Chair of Experimental
Physics II department at the University of Würzburg since 2010. After
getting his PhD in Physics, he led between 1997 and 2006 the
‘Nanomagnetism’ research sub-group in the University of Hamburg, where
he contributed decisively to the development of spin resolved imaging
techniques with atomic resolution. His studies paved the way to
understand exotic magnetic ground states in low dimensional systems. He
has recieved the Philip-Morris Research Award and is Distinguished
Lecturer of the IEEE Magnetic Society. His current research interests
are topological, magnetic and transport properties of surfaces
investigated by Scanning Tunnelling Microscopy. /

Departamento de Física de la Materia Condesada

Facultad de Ciencias, C/ Pedro Cerbuna 12, 50009 Zaragoza (SPAIN)

Web: https://fmc.unizar.es/